Can they live outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyRabbit

Reaction score
I know it's silly to ask but concerning "meat rabbits" can they live outside in a rabbit hutch? I've seen where farms have them in structures but some folks apparently just leave them out. As dumb as it sounds is that fur enough? I've never owned any rabbits, just inside dogs. thanks.

Welcome to the forum! My rabbits live outdoors... What do you mean meat rabbits? I do have to do alot of things to make sure my bunnies don't get too hot but the cold doesn't bother them as much as hot!

Aly!:)

johnnyRabbit, do you mean let them outside roaming free?

If so, that probably isn't a good idea, because if you're in heavy country, and even if you're not, there are going to be predators out there. I would suggest at least building a safe kennel-type pen or something to keep them in.

Emily

By meat rabbits I mean for food.

They will be in a hutch off the ground, sheltered. I just didn't know how cold they could withstand. I am in southeast usa.

johnnyRabbit wrote:
By meat rabbits I mean for food.

They will be in a hutch off the ground, sheltered. I just didn't know how cold they could withstand. I am in southeast usa.

Alright, but just to warn you, we don't really talk about meat rabbits here ;) It's a community forum forrabbit owners....;)

Emily

Rabbits can live outside in the winter - depending upon a few things, like the type of shelter, where it is located, and if it is designed for the type of weather that is typical for the area. Rabbits who are expected to live outside for the winter must be acclimatised first...they need to be outdoors long before the cold weather hits so they can grow an adequate winter coat. The hutch needs to be sheltered from high winds and rain, snow, sleet, direct sunlight (esp. in summer...but of course with summer comes another whole set of needs to be met), etc., a proper water supply needs to be provided, and an enclosed area filled with hay or straw that will allow them to hold their body heat in. The hutch also needs to be secured so absolutely no predators can get in (snakes, cats, dogs, foxes, coyotes, etc.). No gaps, no chicken wire. The hutch also needs to have a run of substantial size so the rabbits can stretch their legs and exercise. The breed of rabbit also needs to be taken into account; for instance, an English lop (my favored breed ;)) would need some sort of heat source during the colder days as their ears are very vulnerable.

(And my personal opinion as well...any rabbits that are kept outdoors, for either pets or meat...also require loving attention each and every day. It's as vital to them as food and shelter. :))

johnnyRabbit wrote:
Sorry. I didn't know it was off limits. I was just trying to be humane.
I think that some of us a bit sensitive to the idea of meat rabbits, just like you probably would be if someone talked to you about keeping dogs for meat! But I think it's great that you want to be humane to all animals, I respect that.

The general consensus is that talk of care of rabbits is just fine. You are welcome to discuss housing, feed and health requirements of any rabbits inside or outside, whether they are pets, show stock, or livestock.

We just do not discuss meat production itself (ie talking about slaughter practices or recipes). However, any questions about raising rabbits, caring for the young, health, housing and other questions are welcomed and encouraged.

I think it is very important for all animals to have the best care possible, and I commend you for seeking advice on how to keep your rabbits more comfortable.

Have you looked through our Library under housing? There are some good articles and references.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27896&forum_id=17

For more questions about care and husbandry, you may want to ask in the Rabbitry section and get the advice of breeders.

--Dawn

I have no issue with it, I eat rabbit meat so...

As others have said just make sure they have good shelter. Also, don't change the temp too much. For example, don't move them into freezing cold when they are used to heat. They will need shelter but will need to thicken up their coats to live outside. Its also probably worth feeding them a little more if its cold. Also, don't let them overheat. So don't move them from a cold environment to a warm environment quickly.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Latest posts

Back