can someone tell me the breed of rabbit this is?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well it has a really nice butterfly, and greatear markings but NOTHING else...i am kinda confusedby it, i am fairly sure that it hasn't had a purebred ancestor for afew generations... It is either a charlie (light markedbroken EnEn) or a rabbit effected by the ch himie gene but i am notsure which...really weird. pet store rabbit i assume??

she weighs only about 4-5 pounds right now. the person that i bought her off of said she is not very old

as far as i know she did not come from a petstore but i am not sure. what is the differance if she did come from apet store. her brother is black colored to.

just if she came from a "breeder" then it would be more likley to be a "sport" from a purebred. ;)

since her brother was black then she is probably a charlie colored rabbit, but i would guess that she is of mixed background:)

they came from an amish guy. what is a"sport" and what is charlie colored? i am new in the rabbitworld i just wanted them as pets but i would liketo know some things about them

when you breed two rabbits that are "brokencolored", a color and white spotted, you will get some brokens, somesolid sports, and some charlies. a charlie is a rabbit withjust a little bit of color. they usually have ear markings,eye markings, a bit of color on the back and no nose marking or a"charlie chaplin mustache" which is how they got their name.that is why i am not sure that your rabbit is a charlie since she haslike the best butterfly (nose marking) i have ever seen!

a solid sport would be a rabbit with no white on him at all.a sport is anything from two purebred or pure colored parents that cameout with wrong color.:)

lizabeth332 wrote:
well it has a really nice butterfly, and great ear markingsbut NOTHING else...i am kinda confused by it, i amfairly sure that it hasn't had a purebred ancestor for a fewgenerations... It is either a charlie (light marked brokenEnEn) or a rabbit effected by the ch himie gene but i am not surewhich...really weird.
Her coloring is actually both ch (himi/cal) as well as Enbroken(Hence the butterfly appearance to the nose and lack ofcolor on the feet).

If she's that large (4-5) lbs. and still very young, I'd venture shemay be a Satin or Satin mix. Satins carry the genes toproduce her color (broken as well aschfor thecalifornianSatinvariety).Thatwould also explain a black sibling.

Commercialbreedsare normally 5 lbs.by 10 weeks, and she does appear young in the photo.

Pam

Here she comes to save the day!

I get such a kick out of you! I swear youmust fall asleep at night memorizing those"geneticthings"!

You Rock! :cool:

RaspberrySwirl

sorry, but i kinda feel like that whevever ianswer a question people always go "AHH WE NEED PAM!!!!" thenshe comes and...raspberry....

sorry. i know tho that Pam is known nation-wide as a rabbit expert;)

but it is true! she does know a ton--i never would of thoughtof BOTH the ch and en gene tho now it makes perfect sense.

:D

Oh....I'm sorry...Isure didn't mean it that way.:? It's just that I haven't gota clue about any of that stuff. I could never have given the info thatyou gave. I thought it was cool that Pam was able to further elaborateon what you said....

I really am sorry if I hurt yourfeelings. I'll try to be more sensitive next time. ;)

Raspberry

I know, its OK, i'm definitely still learning. I really enjoy the breed ID stuff!;)

liz

lizabeth332 wrote:
sorry, but i kinda feel like that whevever i answer aquestion people always go "AHH WE NEED PAM!!!!" then shecomes and...raspberry....

sorry. i know tho that Pam is known nation-wide as a rabbit expert;)

but it is true! she does know a ton--i never would of thoughtof BOTH the ch and en gene tho now it makes perfect sense.

:D

I learn something new every day and will never know everything -- sothank goodness for all the wonderful input we have on this board! Likeeveryone else -- I'm just throwing out some guesses and may notnecessarily be right. Rabbit genetics and diseases are ofparticular interest to me though :)

It can be difficult to discern breeds from photos alone. Thecoat makes a huge difference and it's hard to evaluate the coat verywell from a photo. We have a lot of American Sablesin our area, and purebred Sables frequently produce Cal markedoffspring that many people show as purebred Californians. Thetip off is the coat (American Sables have a roll back coatandCals have a flyback coat.) However, the "slow" coat isfaulted in the Cals and doesn't prevent a purebred Cal marked Am. Sablefrom being shown asa Cal. I don't think that's thecase of the rabbit in the photo though.

Pam

i try to learn something new every day... (aboutrabbits of course--nothing else matters ;)) gotta know a lot for thoseroyalty contests. and breed ID...i LOVE breed id i HAVE tomake the team going to nats! well i'm only 14 so i guess itime.

some times its hard to tell the size of a rabbit in the picstoo. i raise Polish, anda LOT of polish have rollback coats, even tho it is SUPPOSED to be a DQ...

Latest posts

Back