can someone help me??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris0799

Reaction score
how do u know if your rabbit is pregnant? how can i tell? i just got it yesterday and the ppl at the pet store said that it might be pregnant but i wanna know for sure. can someone help me out?

Hi Chris,

Welcome to RO.

It's hard to tell if a rabbit is pregnant. If they know when she may have bred with a male, the best time to feel movement in her lower tummy is 14 days or so after mating. Before that time and after that time apparently isn't very easy to tell.

I'm not the best person to answer this, but if she starts building a nest and/or gets grumpy, her time is probably near.

I'm going to move this to the Rabbitry for you, maybe some experienced breeders can help.

sas :bunnydance:

Best thing to do is be prepared, just in case. Call the petstore and ask if they have any idea when she might have been bred. A rabbit's gestation period is about 31 days, so at about day 28 as near as you can figure, put a nestbox full of straw or hay in with her for her to make a nest and give birth in. We also have listings here in the Library or vets who know about rabbits (you can't take arabbit to jsut any vet, a lot of them don't have a clue how to treat rabbits) so that if she has any trouble giving birth you will know where to take her. Usually they will do ok on their own, but it's best to be ready jsut in case.

Gentle Giants gave you good advice. It is really hard to tell if a rabbit is pregnant. (They hide it real well!) You will just have to be ready, just in case.

Are you keeping her indoors or out? What breed is she (or how much does she weigh?) Do you know how old she is? Is she is a cage big enough to accommodate a nest box? If you can give her a nest box, it needs to be located in a corner that she doesn't usually pee or poop. I prefer to put a 2" layer of absorbent wood shavings on the bottom, then pack the box with straw. (I prefer using straw because the momma is less likely to eat the straw, than if you used hay.) She will dig a hole in the middle and (hopefully) before she delivers, she will pull fur off her own belly and sides to line the nest.

After the babies are born, you CAN touch them. You will need to make sure all the babies are alive and well.. Remove anything that didn't make it, as well as any leftover placenta's. (No, the momma may not do this.) Make sure the nest is clean and dry. Your smell on the babies will NOT keep her away from them...

You can check on them everyday to make sure they are getting fed and are growing. They are born with their eyes closed and the eyes will open around 10 days after birth. They will start coming out of the nest box around 2 weeks of age. When they start coming out, I like to give them pellets to start eating, mixed with rolled oats (plain cooking Quaker oats cereal). I don't feed them greens or fruits until after they are weaned and over 3 months of age.

Please keep us informed! We love to hear about babies! (And see pictures!) If you have any questons, don't hesitate to ask.... And thank you for being willing to take on a "possibly pregnant" girl. Hugs to you for being so kind.

They've covered everything that i could think of, the only different thing i do is use hay, but that's more of a personal opinion i think . . . I use the hay because it softens easier than the straw(might be our local straw is very stiff and hard) and I'd rather it not poke the babies when they wiggle about. But I've seen straw, shavings, hay and all that wonderful stuff(ripped up peices of towel once, Skye's a bit loopy at times)
Otherwise, just sit back and relax. relaxed humans make for relaxed bun buns

i am keeping her in a wabbitat cages outside. i dont know how old she is or how long she may have been pregnant, (even if she is). but all the stuff is set. she doesnt seem to move much. she just chills is the back corner of the cage most of the time.

Well, now it's a waiting game. As long as she is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping... all is good. Now you just wait! (If she doesn't have anything within 33 days of when you got her, she isn't pregnant!)

Latest posts

Back