can someone evaluate my first holland?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
I brought home a holland lop doe yesterday. Around here it is hard to find responsible breeders. Especially holland lops. Could someone please evaluate her? Even though I breed for pets, it would be neat to see how she is
Thanks

I don't know anything about rabbit evaluations as I have only been a rabbit owner for two weeks, but I have so say that she is absolutely adorable and her coloring is beautiful!

Personally (only because you asked), I wouldn't recommend using her in a breeding program. She has a narrow, long face, long ears and a slipped crown. She also appears to be very long in the shoulder, as well as pinched in the hindquarter.

Please don't take this personally or too critically, I don't mean it in that way. However, I do feel that it's important to be honest where breeding is involved. Rabbits with severely pinched hindquarters can have kindling troubles. The combination of lighter bone, which she has, along with the longer shoulder and pinched hindquarter, are conformation faults that can lead to health complications (arthritis, sore hocks) later in life.

She is a beautiful color and very sweet, I am sure. :) But it's important, even when breeding for pets, to select for rabbits that match accepted breed standards as closely as possible. The standards aren't set purely for cosmetic reasons, they also encourage greater health and production in future generations. If it's challenging to find quality breeding stock locally, it may be worthwhile to consider whether importing rabbits from another area would be beneficial.

I think she's lovely she can hang out with my Oscar anytime:dancingorig:

Thank you oakridge

That's exactly what I was looking for. Basically someone to give me advice on whether I should breed her at all. Knowing that she may experience difficulty kindling. I do not want to breed unhealthy rabbits.

My concern with getting breeding quality in is I have done that once and ended up with a really unhealthy rabbit. If I could find a goodgood eeder that will ship a bunny to me. good

I know you are in Canada, but what area are you in (north, south, east, west)? With convention coming up in PA this October, you may have the opportunity to purchase some rabbits and have them transported back. The state convention here is the second largest show outside of the national ARBA convention - we have people from Canada come up just for that! So I am sure people will be coming down with the national being here this year. Maybe I can help arrange transport. :)

Have you looked into purchasing rabbits from the states neighbouring Sask in the US?

Domestic or pet rabbits imported from the United States must be presented to Canada Border Services Agency staff upon entry. The importation of pet rabbits does not require import permits or health certificates. Part XII of the Health of Animals Regulations apply to the transport of all animals; an inspection related to transport without cruelty of animals can be carried out.

Seems bringing a rabbit across the border is just as easy as a dog.

I don't know anything about breeding or showing but that's one cute bunny.

Latest posts

Back