Can rabbits live indoors all year long?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybuns

Reaction score
Who doesn't love to go outside? But how long can a rabbit can stay indoors and stay healthy? Melvin, my Mini Rex, is a house bunny 100%. The only time he ever goes outside is in my arms and only for a few minutes. During the spring/summer I leave windows and curtains open so he gets plenty of fresh air and sunshine. Since it's winter now and all the windows stay shut and there's not much sunshine here, I feel like bun bun is missing out. Any ideas to give my Melvin a winter outing without him being in danger? It's cold and rainy all the time and most leaf coverage has died off here.

Rabbits can live their entire lives happily and healthily indoors, they don't need to go outside actually.

Rabbits don't need to go outdoors, they can stay indoors all of their lives quite nicely.

My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, had only been outside on the lawn twice in his life (he died at seven-and-a-half), and he hated it. He was much happier inside. My current rabbit, Natasha Rabbitova, is also perfectly happy and healthy remaining indoors all the time (she's six-and-a-half and going strong).

My rabbits are also indoors. I have let them outside maybe on 2 or 3 occasions when the weather was cool enough. Even then, I kept them on the patio. But they stay inside all year round. We leave the cage door open all day, so they wander around the house (except bedrooms and office).

Oh, that's good to hear. Thanks a lot for the info. I've noticed that even if I leave the front door open accidentally, Melvin will poke his head out for a second then hop back to his safe spots. It almost seems like he's only curious enough to see what's going on out there but no more, like he knows it's not safe outside. And he's totally right, we have all sorts of animals around here that would love to eat him. Any more input y'all may have is greatly appreciated! Thanks again, cheers!

Back