Can my bunny play with this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badluckjjinx

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm new to this site and i recently got myself a bunny!
I've owned a bunny before. We got him when he was 2 and he died in the summer 2013, 13 years old.
Now i'm living in an apartment by myself and a week ago i got myself a bunny! His name is Gandalf :3

Now i have this question.
Gandalf is about 6 months old and he's begun chewing in stuff. I have a feeling that it might be because he's bored. i've got no toys for him. His cage is pretty empty.

So i found this and was wondering if he's even allowed to chew in it??
As i'm from Denmark and got the stuff here, i'll translate what it says on the pictures.

2cwn1c0.jpg

This is 100% natural cotton yarn/string.

30u75hj.jpg

These are some bunny snacks. It's a stick with some carrot treats on it.

i69eyu.jpg

As you can see on the picture, i braided a couple of the strings together and tied the stick in the end.

Is this safe for my bunny? So far he seems to be having quite some fun with it.

Any suggestions for other toys?

- With love from Hannah and Gandalf

If he eats the string, which is possible, it can cause gut trouble. What else is in the treat? Bunnies shouldn't have too much sugar, including that in carrots and fruits. For toy ideas, try stuffing a toilet paper tube with hay. My boys love that! A phone book is also great for your bun to shred.

There are worse things than cotton, but I still wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't use those treat sticks either, or if you're going to use them do so very sparingly. Try paper based toys like toilet paper or paper towel rolls, cardboard boxes, etc. For example, that box the yarn came in, stuffed with hay with maybe a single treat (like a raisin or dried cranberry) or a few pellets inside) and then with the ends folded shut again can make a really fun toy. Other fun things are hard plastic baby keys which are fun to toss. If you want hanging toys, I sometimes use bird toys that hang that are made for parrots. I have one that 's a metal chain with some wooden blocks on it with a bell on the end that they sometimes play with.

yeah string of any kind is NOT good for rabbits. I don't even like my rabbits on towels for the chewing reason. (I use fleece for them) I also have a suggestion for toys. Cardboard boxes made into house/castles and those nylon cat tunnels. My rabbits and guinea pigs LOVE these. Cardboard is safe to chew. One of our rabbits loves the cat tunnel as well as the guinea pigs. My second rabbit is warming UP to the tunnel. I understand that apple wood (not treated with chemicals) is safe, and those willow balls at the pet stores. I have also purchased plastic infant toys at yard sales for the rabbits. They like these ok. They like the hard plastic ball nose it around. They REALLY like the cardboard house. Hope that helps.

Hay! Are you feeding him plenty of hay? That is always a good boredom buster. Stuffing the hay in empty paper towel or tp rolls (as others have mentioned) is an easy and safe fun thing that rabbits seem to love.

I have some other ideas here that might also prove helpful. The remainder of that site might be a fun refresher on rabbit-y ideas too.

Thank you so much for your answers!
It says "No sugar added" on the package with those sticks. With that said, it IS carrot sticks so there IS some sugar in it. I'll just give it to him sparingly.

But i'l definatly try to toiletroll thing! Thanks!

Also, here's a picture of Gandalf :D
orlefq.jpg

Actually i know nothing of his background.
But i'm guessing he's a mixed breed with definate signs of a lionhead :)

But thanks for all your replies!
I've given him an empty toiletroll stuffed with hay. And he loves it!

Latest posts

Back