can i litter train a 9 month old rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to think that I can get Kahlua to be litter box trained? She is almost 9 months old and until i got her (at 8 months) she lived in a small wire cage. When i got her she lived in a plastic bottom cage with litter all over the bottom but now I moved her to a bigger cage and bought a litter box but I am wondering if she can learn to pee in it most (or hopefully all) of the time. I put some hay in a corner and took some of the wet litter from her old cage in it to give her a lil bit of idea of what should happen in the box.I am going to watch and if she seems to be peeing on a specific spot other than tha box i'll try moving it to that spot. Anything else I should be doing? Does that sound about right?

My girls actually caught on at about 4 months (quick learners :)) and Abigale will use the litter except when it's too dirty (but who would? :)) so you should have no problem with Kahlua I wouldn't think.

Just be diligent about picking up mistakes and they learn pretty quick :)

nes.

Just find out where her corner where she goes to the bathroom is and put the litterbox there. Yes, a 9 month old can be well litter trained. If she pees outside her box, soak up the pee with a paper towel and hide it in the litterbox. Clean the area where she peed with vinegar to get rid of the smell. Put all the poops that are outside the litterbox in the litterbox to help give her the idea.

You should also expect that accidents will decrease as she gets used to her new home and litterbox. It took all of my fosters and my own buns a little while to thoroughly mark their area with pee and poops but eventually when it smelled like them they picked one spot and I just moved their litterbox. Many of my fosters were young when I littertrained them. If your bunny is spayed that will definitely help too since she won't be as likely to mark as much.

If you follow everyone's advice, you will likely have success. If she is not spayed yet, then litter habits should improve even more after the spay. Amber came to us as an 18 month old unspayed female, and she was already litter trained. We were able to succesfully train Devon at about 3 months (almost a month prior to being neutered).

well, i watched her last night and she marked her new cage (left little poops everywhere) but she only peed out of the litter box once! i saw her actually hop in the box this morning and pee in the box. :colors: so hopefully we are on the right track.

thanks for the replies everyone!

:mrsthumper:Ms. Kahlua Bunny thanks you too.

Yes, certainly! Maisie was littertrained at two and a half months, so your baby could definitely catch on! :)

What I did with Maisie was whenever she peed outside her box, I would soak it up with a papertowel, and put her and that papertowel in her box. If she peed three times outside the box, I would put her back in her cage. She got the hint pretty quickly, and we haven't had any problems since.

I've never tried to litter train either of my bunnies for pooping. I've never really thought it a bad thing. In fact, now that I think about it, they don't even really do that outside the cage when they're out. Both of them do it outside the box when they're in their cage, but when they're out, they go into their cage to poop. That's funny, I've never thought of that before. So, I guess they're littertrained for their pee, and cage-trained for their poop. Hehe!! :D

Either way, I've never trained them with pooping, because I really don't have a problem just scooping it up and putting it into their box. I figure, it isn't wet like other animals' poop, it's just little pellets...so what's the problem? Hehe..this coming from someone who's owned gerbils in the past. I just don't have an issue with it. :)

Latest posts

Back