Can I give as a treat - Aldi's Simply Nature Organic Rolled Quick Oats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
We have a bunny that was a show bunny in the past. The breeder we purchased him from used to feed him oats. We continued this practice for a short while when my daughter showed him, but he was quickly retired after two show seasons because it just wasn't what my daughter wanted to do anymore, and he became a pet. We haven't fed him oats in a long time, but he has some health problems and we have had to make some changes to his cage including his litter box and the hay we use in it. The timothy hay was too hard and when he was jumping on it, it was causing his sore hocks to bleed. We switched to orchard grass and he has a flat litter area now (so no jumping in and out of the box). He has had a difficult time with the changes....acting out by ripping paper, turning over his bowls, etc. We have done everything we know to do, but we were thinking maybe of distraction. We used to hide oats in his hay or food bowl and we were thinking of introducing him to oats again - in very small moderation (like a small pinch). He used to love them when he was a show rabbit and would spend lots of time searching for the oats. So, we picked up Aldi's Simply Nature Organic Rolled Quick Oats. The packaging says cleaned, hulled, and rolled, and package lists the ingredients as: organic rolled oats. I read several times in old posts here not to feed bunnies quick oats, but the posts say rolled oats are fine?? So, what do you think - are these okay???

If the only ingredient is oats, then there's no problem. Oats aren't a great thing to feed bunnies, but are ok in small amounts as a little treat. You could also try scattering around his pellets so that he has to forage for them and also instead of just providing them in a bowl. Also hiding leafy greens and things inside of toilet paper tubes is a good foraging activity. I imagine he will get used to the changes with a bit of time though.

Thanks for the answer. We are scattering pellets too, but we were just trying to think of something new to help him with the transition. We tried a tiny amount of oats and he perked up. We won't feed them everyday, but as a special treat when he seems really sad. But we think now maybe it's the molt that is really getting him down. So, we will keep a closer eye on him and see what happens. The leafy greens in a tube is a good idea that we will try with him tomorrow! Thanks again!

He has had a difficult time with the changes....acting out by ripping paper, turning over his bowls, etc. We have done everything we know to do, but we were thinking maybe of distraction.

I would not consider this behavior "acting out" in any way. We may see ripping paper and tossing a bowl as "naughty" behavior, but - to a bunny- he's simply playing. Some rabbits love to toss things. He doesn't care if it is a bowl or a toy. If there isn't a toy, then the bowl becomes the toy.

Ripping paper is also a way to alleviate boredom. I'd suggest investing in some wicker balls for him to toss about and some seagrass mats for him to chew apart. Some cat toy balls also can work for rabbits.

It sounds like he's an active bun and needs some stimulation to keep him occupied.

(Does he also get daily run time outside the cage?)

Back