Can gas get more frequent with age?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
Spike turns 7 in the fall. Over the years, we have had small bouts with gas, probably once every six months or so. But lately, it has become more frequent and is happening at odd times. The vet says he is very healthy (good teeth, clear tummy, healthy poops) and chalked it up to a sensitive tummy and perhaps the fact that he eats very quickly (he also gives himself the hiccups after eating very often, which seems to indicate he ingets a lot of extra air). We have cut his diet down sooo much, poor guy. He doesn't even get his favorite apple treats anymore since he seems to get sick right after. He basically just gets leafy greens (mosty romaine because he doesn't like the herbs), unlimited hay, and a handful of pellets. We have not changed the basics or the brands. In the last month, he has had 3 moments around dinner time where he goes into the (what I call) scary bunny pose where he is pressing his tummy to the floor and refusing any food. Sometimes this has even happened during dinner. Me or the hubby have sat with him and rubbed his tummy and anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours later, he is back to normal - thank goodness. It is getting
really frustrating and stressing me out at mealtimes and all the time. I don't know what to do. Cut out the leafy greens completely? Give him less? Is it common for a bun's tum to get more fussy over time? I really need to figure something out because I am starting to stress out at all mealtimes wondering if he will eat or if he does, how he will digest it. I have to go away for a few days in a month and I'm so worried about leaving him with this problem.
Anyone go through this with their buns? or maybe have any ideas? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Is he eating his handful of pellets at one serving? With horses that bolt their food it is reccomended to put an object, rock, brick, etc in their feeder so they can't eat too quickly (make sure it is large enough it can't be injested) feeding smaller mutiple servings or make a trail of pellets on the floor so he has to move around to find them. That will at least slow him down. My bunny has had hiccups twice that I have witnessed and from what I have read it is suspected that a contributing factor is gas. Perhaps it's the pellets that are causing him problems all together? I am not the bunny nutrition guru I'll leave that to others with more experience. Hope you get it sorted out :).

He is eating them in one sitting. He eats them so fast it is insane. Hmm...I never thought about maybe splitting them up or spreading them around so he can't eat them as fast. That is an interesting idea. Thank you for that.

Spike turns 7 in the fall. Over the years, we have had small bouts with gas, probably once every six months or so. But lately, it has become more frequent and is happening at odd times. The vet says he is very healthy (good teeth, clear tummy, healthy poops) and chalked it up to a sensitive tummy and perhaps the fact that he eats very quickly (he also gives himself the hiccups after eating very often, which seems to indicate he ingets a lot of extra air). We have cut his diet down sooo much, poor guy. He doesn't even get his favorite apple treats anymore since he seems to get sick right after. He basically just gets leafy greens (mosty romaine because he doesn't like the herbs), unlimited hay, and a handful of pellets. We have not changed the basics or the brands. In the last month, he has had 3 moments around dinner time where he goes into the (what I call) scary bunny pose where he is pressing his tummy to the floor and refusing any food. Sometimes this has even happened during dinner. Me or the hubby have sat with him and rubbed his tummy and anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours later, he is back to normal - thank goodness. It is getting
really frustrating and stressing me out at mealtimes and all the time. I don't know what to do. Cut out the leafy greens completely? Give him less? Is it common for a bun's tum to get more fussy over time? I really need to figure something out because I am starting to stress out at all mealtimes wondering if he will eat or if he does, how he will digest it. I have to go away for a few days in a month and I'm so worried about leaving him with this problem.
Anyone go through this with their buns? or maybe have any ideas? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.
---age is not necessarily related to gas problems,-its more dietary--perhaps the extras-beyond the normal unlimited grasses/some pellets/water,--however using a stethoscope periodically and a medicine cabinet with infant simethicone-is most helpful-//-gas equals pain and no eating--so ,--sincerely james waller-- :wave2

He is eating them in one sitting. He eats them so fast it is insane. Hmm...I never thought about maybe splitting them up or spreading them around so he can't eat them as fast. That is an interesting idea. Thank you for that.

I would also recommend feeding them to him in a treat ball similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJGY212/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I have one for Bandit and since the opening is adjustable in size, you can somewhat limit how many pellets come out at a time. The benefit of this is not only does it stop him gorging himself, but it gets him moving which helps to keep his gut moving too. I'm not sure how much leafy greens he gets at a time, but perhaps it may be worth giving him smaller amounts more frequently instead of large amounts less often if that's how you're doing it.

Otherwise, I have heard on bunnies becoming sensitive to their pellets with age, so I suppose failing everything else, perhaps trying to limit or even stop his pellet consumption for a couple of test days just to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to stop giving broccoli to Scone MacBunny as he got older, because it started to give him gas. He loved it, but in his last year or two he couldn't eat it. So, at least for that one bun, I can say that stomach issues in general got worse as he aged.

These are interesting comments, both in the strategies to make bunnies eat pellets slower and what experienced bun-parents have found with their older bunnies. I haven't seen increased sensitivities to anything but the really carb-heavy treats as my bunnies age. However, my oldest is around 8 and when I say carb heavy I mean "bunny cookies" like what oxbow sells. They definitely are more sensitive to being bothered while sleeping, though, and they sleep more. If an older bun were in an environment where they couldn't nap all day long (I am at work all day) they could get more stressed and have more gas due to that, I would think.

Thank you for all your comments! I have been testing various things with Spike. I've cut down a little on how much lettuce and pellets he gets (though, I am slightly worried he is too hungry now. He devoured 3 full baskets of hay last night).
Someone mentioned waking them too much. That might be part of the problem,too. I always tried to feed him at the same time, whether he was sleeping or not. I think now, I will wait for him to be alert and interested. And I dont seem to have problems with the movement lately, he is going bonkers when I bring the pellets and running up and down my hall so excited, he almost forgets to come eat them. :)

I will keep an eye on him for sure, and see if more adjustments need to be made. I know he has always had a sensitive tummy, it just does seem to have gotten worse as he has gotten older. I feel awful not being able to give him treats....

Back