Can anyone recomend a good brand of pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to switch brands of feed,as the store I am getting it from now has jumped their prices twice in the past couple of months, and I am now paying $11 per bag where I was paying $9. I want something that of course has all the proper nutrtion in it, and also has the yucca in it too. I am not breeding anymore, so they don't need a breeder feed. I am going to see if the new feed store in town can/will order something better for me.

Purina Green bag is okay.
I used to buy the 25lb bags, and it also comes in 50lb.
I stopped using it because, as they matured,half of my buns started to have problems with the higher protien of the alfalfa based pellets.

I switched to a timothy based pellet (Kaytee Timothy Complete), but the price is much higher.

I'm contemplating trying Oxbow, and then ordering it online if they like it.

Buck Jones used the Purina Blue bag (a step up from the Green) for as long as I knew him. I think the feed store ordered & stocked it for him at his request.

We use the Blue Seal Hutch Extra 17 for our Giants. Alfalfa based pellet, 17% protein. They have a15 % and a 16% protein if you prefer. Contains Yucca as well as probiotics. The one thing I like about it a consistant formula, season to season. My rabbits seem do to really well on it and I can't complain about condition.

Ok, after reading the info on the link that Pipp posted, I noticed that a lot of people use the Purina green bag. That is what this feed store carries, but I don't think it has the yucca in it, does it?

Blue Giants, the Blue Seal is sounding good to me, what kind of price do you pay for 50#?

gentle giants wrote:
Ok, after reading the info on the link that Pipp posted, I noticed that a lot of people use the Purina green bag. That is what this feed store carries, but I don't think it has the yucca in it, does it?

No. The Green bag doesn't have yucca.
You'd have to upgrade to the Purina Blue Bag Rabbit Chow Complete Plus
....which also has the lactobacillus acidophilus

Rabbit Chow Complete Plus
Ingredients:

Deyhydrated alfalfa meal, wheat middlings, ground soybean hulls, dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, cane molasses, salt, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, dried yucca shidigera extract, ferrous oxide, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, riboflavin, niacin supplement, dried yeast culture, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried streptococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, vitamin B12 supplement, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Hi,

We are feeding over 60 rabbits...but I think everyone knows we don't feed many pellets. We use a combination of Purina Rabbit Chow (Green Bag) and Rabbit Chow Complete Plus (only comes in 10# bags) with our rabbits that get pellets. The Complete Plus has higher fiber content than regular chow. Both are pelleted (nocute little treats). We have used Oxbow but found it to be too inconsistant and very dusty (we used the 50# bags..smaller bags were obviously less dusty) but the shipping costs were very high. The debate between using alfalfa based vs. timothy basedshould beirrelevent since pellets should only be a very small part of a rabbit's diet. Since we no longer have a Purina dealer in the local area....I am looking at using Manna Pro "Sho" formula....it has all the good stuff in it too. And based on what is happening in the farm arena...expect continuing price rises on both pellets and hay....and based on the past growing/baling season....be on the look out for mycotoxin (mold) issues in both baled hay and pellets regardless of the brand name.

Randy

Latest posts

Back