Can anyone on W. side of Denver visit a bunn 2x/week?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyluvns

Reaction score
There's a rabbit who lives in a wire cage in a pet supply store in a suburb west of Denver.

No one ever lets him out of his cage & I'm pretty sure no one gives him hay. So I go a couple times a week & let him run around in the store for 1/2 - 1 hour & also give him hay & papaya chunks. I'd go more often but it's several miles out of my way. The time I spend with him isn't much but I think it gives him something to look forward to.

I've offered to buy him but the owner says no, he's the store rabbit.

I'd really like to move to some other part of CO or possibly even another state. But I don't think I could leave unless I knew someone would go visit this sweet bunn. I can't bear to think of him spending the rest of his life in that cage just waiting & waiting for someone to come & let him out.

Is there anyone who'd be willing to visit this little guy should I find a job outside the Denver area?

Wire flooring is not bad for a rabbits feet.>>> http://shinysatins.weebly.com/wire-floors.html

Are you sure no one lets him out? During the day or when the store is open they most likely can not have him out as they need to operate the store. The hay may be given at night or in the morning. Some rabbits eat the hay all the way up in 5 minutes. My rabbits do and it seems like they never have hay. I give my rabbits an unlimited amount of hay but i don't leave a large amount of hay sitting in the cage as it could get soiled and cause urine scald on the rabbits and it isnt good for them to ingest. So they get their hay in the morning and during the night. This helps keep the wasted hay to a minimum and still allows the rabbit to get hay.

RabbitGirl, thanks for your reply & for the article about wire cages which I read with great interest. I can see now that wire cages do have their advantages. This bun is a mini rex so he doesn't have thick fur on his feet. But the owner does provide a plastic mat for him. It just doesn't look all that comfortable to be perfectly honest :(

You're right, it's entirely possible the owner gives him hay & when I visit him he's already eaten it.

But I'm sure no one ever lets him out. I've asked the owner & employees & they say they simply don't have time.

The owner used to breed & show rabbits & she obviously knows her stuff because this bun has reached the age of 9, & all the previous rabbits she's had there have reached a ripe old age. But I just think a rabbit should have a little time out of his cage once in awhile. He really seems to enjoy it. When I first started letting him out he could barely hobble around, he was so unused to being on a solid surface. Lately he's started doing binkies which thrills me to see :happyrabbit:

RabbitGirl, thanks for your reply & for the article about wire cages which I read with great interest. I can see now that wire cages do have their advantages. This bun is a mini rex so he doesn't have thick fur on his feet. But the owner does provide a plastic mat for him. It just doesn't look all that comfortable to be perfectly honest :(

You're right, it's entirely possible the owner gives him hay & when I visit him he's already eaten it.

But I'm sure no one ever lets him out. I've asked the owner & employees & they say they simply don't have time.

The owner used to breed & show rabbits & she obviously knows her stuff because this bun has reached the age of 9, & all the previous rabbits she's had there have reached a ripe old age. But I just think a rabbit should have a little time out of his cage once in awhile. He really seems to enjoy it. When I first started letting him out he could barely hobble around, he was so unused to being on a solid surface. Lately he's started doing binkies which thrills me to see :happyrabbit:
He should do just fine on the wire:) If he was getting sores he wouldn't be able to move a lot on the wire. Not being able to move is different from a rabbit that chooses not to move a lot. lol:)
The cage should provide enough space for him to live a long, nice, and healthy life. My rabbits are in a standard wire cage and they binky all the time! Although my older buck is having more difficulties since his age is starting to make him have some arthritis in his joints (normal for rabbits as they age, same with humans)

Mine hobble at first when let out of the cage daily to go in their run. It is because it is a different feeling underneath their feet and they need to make sure it isn't going to kill them. My one rabbit still isn't use to grass after being on it daily for at least a year (spring/summer/fall weather) he walks on his tiptoes for at least 15 mins while he warms up to the feeling. I have another rabbit that as soon as he sees the grass he bolts out of my arms so he can start running and digging.

Although they love being outside, they are content in their cages as well. I see them binky all the time! This rabbit is most likely a retired show rabbit that the owner decided to keep as a pet, this being said it most likely is use to the cage, so it won't bother the rabbit as much. It's kind of like humans some of us are lucky enough to live in big houses from the time we are little to adults. Others stay in tiny 2 room apartments and they enjoy the space because that is what they are use to and call home:)

RabbitGirl, your bunbuns sound like they have a very good life! :).

Thanks for your reassuring words. Yes, this little guy is a retired show rabbit. I kind of wish I'd never started letting him out because now I'm afraid he expects it & would become depressed if no one ever let him out again....but if you really think he'd do ok just being in his cage 24/7 then I guess i'll quit worrying about it.

He should do just fine! Its not like he is going to be abandoned, he will get pets by his owner and I'm sure they will take him out time-to-time:)

Thanks, RabbitGirl! He gets quite a bit of petting also from the store customers :).

Anyway, I haven't had any luck finding a job outside the Denver area, so I may well still be living here long after that bunn has gone to the Rainbow Bridge! In the meantime I'll keep visiting him a couple times a week since he seems to enjoy it :bunny19

Thanks for your replies RabbitGirl!

Bunnyluvns I completely understand where your coming from and think what your doing for that bun is awesome! If you can better an animals life why not do it. I don't question anything that Rabbitgirl said, but I do believe what your doing is making that bun really happy!

Aw thanks, you guys are sweet! Anyway, I'm sure you all do whatever is in your power to make the world a better place for animals. I think all of us animal lovers try to pitch in wherever we can, even if it's just a small thing. :heartbeat:

I'm so glad to have read this article about wire-bottom cages! I use wire bottom cages normally. I got a pair of angoras recently and one of them is close to getting sore hocks, so I pout her in a solid floor cage yesterday. After only 3 hours, she was covered in feces, soaked with urine, and her wool was matted. What a disaster! Some rabbits just don't know any better than to lay in their own waste.

The wire bottom cage isn't a problem for the pet store bunny, unless he's one of those buns who refuses to stand on the resting surface and has sore feet. He really needs to get some time out of that cage, though. As much as rabbits do enjoy their cages, they love having the chance to hop around and explore places outside of it. All rabbits deserve to experience that joy on a regular basis.

I'm so glad to have read this article about wire-bottom cages! I use wire bottom cages normally. I got a pair of angoras recently and one of them is close to getting sore hocks, so I pout her in a solid floor cage yesterday. After only 3 hours, she was covered in feces, soaked with urine, and her wool was matted. What a disaster! Some rabbits just don't know any better than to lay in their own waste.

The wire bottom cage isn't a problem for the pet store bunny, unless he's one of those buns who refuses to stand on the resting surface and has sore feet. He really needs to get some time out of that cage, though. As much as rabbits do enjoy their cages, they love having the chance to hop around and explore places outside of it. All rabbits deserve to experience that joy on a regular basis.
I agree that he should be able to come out of the cage sometimes, but being someone with wire cages myself, I know that the space doesn't discourage a rabbit that much. It's really funny when one is so excited at feeding time that he binkies so much it could cover another rabbit lifetime. I personally believe as long as he is getting attention and getting out on occasion he will be fine😊

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Thanks to everyone for your replies, you've made me feel better about the store bunn living in a wire cage.

Recently I found something that I think will enhance his quality of life. I bought him a basket made of woven grass. It gives him something to chew on 24/7 & is also big enough for him to snuggle up in, & he's been doing plenty of both :)

I've already bought him a replacement for when he chews this one to bits, & will keep buying them as long as he keeps enjoying them :)

Of course I'll also keep visiting him at least twice a week so he can get out of his cage & explore. Thanks everyone for your posts!

Steal that rabbit! Take him with you and leave the state.that pet store doesn't sound very good.seems like animals are products and accessories and that poor rabbit deserves better. I would take him no questions asked lol.I don't think they would really mind the owner probably has an ego attached to the rabbit since you mentioned its a show rabbit.that's probably why he's not for sale.

Well, I care about the bunny, but not enough to go to prison :). I'll just keep visiting him & doing what I can to make his life more enjoyable.

Anyway, I'm not going to be leaving the state while my own bun is alive. She's going on 12 & the woman who gave her to me (the same woman who owns the store where the rabbit is kept caged) said she wouldn't survive the stress of a move. Don't know whether she's right, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

She's not right. 3 of ours were over ten and 2 were 12 when we moved here. The first to pas, a year later was one of our youngest at just 4 years old. Molly almost made it to 16 and Lilli and Coal were both 14. Not sure of Ted's age, but he wasn't young when he came to us and we had him for 12 years. You just have to do it right.

She's not right. 3 of ours were over ten and 2 were 12 when we moved here. The first to pas, a year later was one of our youngest at just 4 years old. Molly almost made it to 16 and Lilli and Coal were both 14. Not sure of Ted's age, but he wasn't young when he came to us and we had him for 12 years. You just have to do it right.

Are you serious??!!! I turned down a job interview in Minneapolis I was really interested in after this woman told me Bunny will die if I move!!

Please, please can you share some tips with me on how to move with an elderly bun?? Were your buns already used to being transported when you moved? Because my bun has only been out of the house a handful of times in the 8 yrs I've had her & each time it's stressed her out quite a bit.

Please, any knowledge you could share with me would be VERY much appreciated!!!

We moved here with 17 total. I rented a gigantic van so I could put them all inside in their own hutch. Drove strait thru, 10 hours and had a room all set up to receive them so it was as close to the home they were used to. Some may be more "sensitive" than others, but, we had no problems--probably helped that we moved them all at the same time and they were around everyone they were used to being with too.

I'm sure that store bunny is doing just fine, but since I live in Littleton, I'd be happy to go visit the little fella whenever I'm nearby. If you just let me know what store he's at. If for some reason this forum doesn't allow you to divulge the name, just let me know what the nearest intersecting streets are and I'm sure I can figure it out.

As far as moving with your bunn, I'd suggest you acclimate her to some change of surroundings and temperature. You can take her with you in the car on the occasional short errand or when you go visiting friends. ( As long as you do not have to leave her in the car unattended for more than 5~10 minutes at a time ... EVER. ) Winter time is more forgiving since rabbits enjoy the cold, but in the warmer months you must be careful. I have personally seen bunns that developed heat stroke in as few as 5~10 minutes. Of course, there are breeders and such that would argue that, but most of their bunns are kept in areas where they experience many temperature fluctuations and are used to a little heat.
But if your bunn has always lived in a steady, controlled climate indoors, :hiding: she would travel better if get her used to some changes. :rabbithop

Good luck to you and let me know about the location of that bunn.

Thank you Larry & Ebunn for your replies! Oh my goodness, 17 buns! You have far more energy than I do :). Just ONE bun has seemed like quite a handful at times to me :).

Sadly, my little girl, Bunny, passed away April 30. But she had a long, good life & I'm sure is doing binkies up in Heaven now. And tomorrow i'm adopting a new rabbit! This one is 6 yrs old - not as old as Bunny was but not exactly a spring chicken. So it's very reassuring to know that IF I get a job offer someplace else i don't have to turn it down on account of my pet rabbit :). Thanks to both of you for some good tips on how to move without stressing out the rabbit too much.

And Ebunn thank you so much for offering to visit the store rabbit sometimes! I think you're right, he seems just fine. Yesterday when I had him out he was running around binkying like a maniac :). He's clearly happy & healthy so I guess I was worrying about him for nothing. But it couldn't hurt to have 1 more person visit him once awhile! I'll send you a private message if that'd be ok.

Latest posts

Back