Can anyone identify the breed of my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Benjamin1001.jpg

Benjamin1003.jpg

Hi

Can anyone identify the breed of my bunny Benjamin. The vetsays he is of mixed breed but I would like to know hisancestry. He is sometimes a grumpy bunny he grunts a lotdespite my care and attention, I think his grumpiness may be somethingto do with his breed...He has been neutered too. Any ideas?

Rebecca

Second that. No pics visible!

When your bunny grunts, is it a quick short soundaccompaniedby an aggressive stance? Or a low "huuuhhhhh huh whooof", with perkedears and alert attitude? Males tend to make funny noises when they arehappy--my large male has a near-constant stream of low-pitched"comments" when he greets me in the morning. Grunts, humming,evenan unearthly shriek when I'm not fast enough.

Boys can be very vocal (as can girls, but different noises). It can be linked to aggression but not always.

Rose

Hi,

I've tried to attach again by different means.

The grunt is a short 'vut' kind of sound and he tends to do it when Iapproach him or go to pick him up. I always asscoiated itwith anger as he is one of those bunnies who hates being picked up andcarried even though I do it properly and give him no reason to fear itit's one thing he's never got used to. He sometimes gives asmall warning nip along with the grunting sound if you approach him -possibly because of the fear of being picked up.

I agree that he appears to be a mixedbreed. The short, broad head might indicate some Lop in thebackground. The Chestnut color is common in manybreeds. Dwarf or Dutch in his ancestry are alsopossible. How much does he weigh?

Pam

He's very cute :)

My bo makes a sound almost like a sneeze sometimes whenI walkpast him .... it's an "oink" to get my attention and let me know heloves me.

I used to think he was sneezing..... until I payed attention to when it happened!

one my boys does the happy little buzzwhen he wants me to pet him or he is excited to see me. Funny heactually started doing it for the phone last night when he could hearCarolyn talking LOL Most of the time if he hears other people around hejust sits and stares like he is thinking real hard LOL, I had to videotape him to show one my friends that he actually moves anddoesn't always sit in one spot constant.

RebeccaUK wrote:
Hi,

I've tried to attach again by different means.

The grunt is a short 'vut' kind of sound and he tends to do it when Iapproach him or go to pick him up. I always asscoiated itwith anger as he is one of those bunnies who hates being picked up andcarried even though I do it properly and give him no reason to fear itit's one thing he's never got used to. He sometimes gives asmall warning nip along with the grunting sound if you approach him -possibly because of the fear of being picked up.

Your bun's head reminds me of my Palomino--the eyes aren't "round",they kind of droop at the corners. Maybe that's in the backgroundsomewhere.

The grunt you describe does sound like aggression, and it most likelyis related to being picked up and/or defending his territory. It'ssomething I usually hear from does, not bucks. Most rabbits hate beingpicked up. You might try approaching him without picking himup--interacting on his level instead of bringing him up to yours. Ilove chest-high cages so I can stand eye-level with them when theystand up.

Another way to deal with that kind of aggression is to very gently pushhis head to the ground with your hand over his ears. Hold that for asecond or two, then let up.

Rose

If I were you, I'd try to curb picking him up ifhe clearly doesn't like it. Most rabbits don't like to be held - atall. I learned a hard lession with one of my rabbits, by picking her upall the time even though I knew she didn't like it. I had read that ifyou do it frequently when they are young (as she was) then they willlearn to like it. Clearly that wasn't the case with my rabbit and it'staken a lot of time to build up lost trust. It was to the point whereshe would run away when she saw me coming.

We've come a long way, she and I, since then, but I learned a valuable lesson. Don't pick them up when they give the signs.

Latest posts

Back