Can anyone help me?! What is this?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosaeniltiac

Reaction score
I'm usually way more paranoid than I should be about things, but nothing more than anything with my animals. Before I run to the vet I figured I'd take a shot here to see if anyone has any input, before my vet just says, "His fur is just thin, you paranoid crazy rabbit mama." Lol.

This is Harley. He's about ten weeks old. He's an assumed lop mix, I'm waiting to see how big he gets to see if I can confirm what he is. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398663675.345232.jpg

The last few days I've been noticing thinning of fur behind his head/between his shoulder blades. There's no flakes, scabbing or wounds. It's pretty noticeable when he sits up and it's starting to concern me because it seems like it's getting worse.

I've noticed my unneutered adult lionhead, Simba, "grooming" Harley in that spot, could he be chewing or pulling out the hair? (They will both be neutered shortly.)

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. Is it just that he has thin fur there or does it look like something else?!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398664384.753922.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398664433.060075.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398664453.720625.jpg

Please, if you have any advice or input, please let me know what this could be! We'd appreciate it!
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398664781.412976.jpg

It's hard to know if the thin fur is being caused by excessive grooming by his friend, or from something like fur mites. Is your other bun maybe humping him and pulling fur out there?

Funnily enough Bandy also has thin fur at times in that area and I checked with the vet last week as he was there butbshe told me there was nothing to worry about, no fur mites or other reason. It is around his injection site but she didn't think that was the reason. The others do groom him but they had been separated a few weeks. I remember when he was little, it used to happen now and again, maybe it's just a trait of longer haired buns, his fur does look very similar to Bandys, long and very fine.

He's very cute! I'm not 100% sure but would have to agree with Jbun, fur mites or probably from being groomed excessively. One of my rabbits has thinner fur in that area too. I would keep an eye on him and try to make sure Simba isn't licking him there to see if that helps, and if not to call and make an appointment with your vet to see what they say as it could get worse. It does seem to be a bit red. Rabbits skin is sensitive and being groomed in one area too often could make it dry/irritated and uncomfortable for him. Hope everything is okay

It quite possibly is from excessive grooming. One of the people at my local rabbit group has a bunny with no whiskers because the bonded bun chews them off :p Otherwise, the other likely possibility is fur mites, which is might be worth getting checked for anyway.

Latest posts

Back