Can adult rabbit + adult cat coexist?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaretti

Reaction score
I have a 4ish harlequin rabbit, had her for 6ish months and absolutely love her. Shes 6 libs, a little bit of a chonker haha. She’s pretty dominant with other animals from what her foster mom said. Though she’s never bit or been aggressive, that I’ve seen anyways. She’s also free roamed to the living room, and when supervised is allowed in the office and bedroom.

I’ve had the idea of getting a cat floating around my head. I’ve seen some people say they introduced a baby cat and baby rabbit and they were fine together, but any ideas on if you can have an adult cat and adult rabbit introduced and live in the same house? The cat I was looking at is a grown adult female described as “extremely affectionate and snuggly lap cat”. The rabbit is 6 lbs so I would be a little less worried than if she was a smaller and more prey size.

Anyone seen a rabbit and cat really keep each other company as friends, or simply exist in the same house?

I have 3 cats 1 dog and 1 rabbit soon to be 2 hopefully, mine free roams my bedroom bc I have a huge room that is the size of 2 rooms. he is about 7 months and my cats and dog are very gentle, but there instinct takes over and they try to eat him and he is so unaware and brave he doesnt notice which can be dangerous so i would keep them separate unless you can find a gentle baby cat possibly. That's my take, hope you figure it out!! you can keep them in separate rooms ans that would fine.

It all come down to the cats instinct and personality.

I’ve seen bunnies co-exist with cats but I wouldn’t be so trusting leaving them all alone. Because cats and bunnies play differently.

I know my first bunny spent a lot of time with a cat friend. They was so cute together, grooming each other and sleeping. But the cat was really kind and never used his claws or teeth when playing. So he was really gentle. While my bunny had no problem handling him and was relaxed.

I would suggest getting an adult cat because they are normally calmer than kittens, but get a kitten if you want it to be used to rabbits all its life
At one point I had 11 kittens in our shed with Theo (my rabbit) and they all got along great. I would walk into the shed and all the kittens would be in Theo's playpen cuddled with him. We only kept one of the kittens and she now loves Theo so much! I now have cats for hunting and 4 of them were raised with Theo as kittens so instead of thinking of rabbits as prey, they think of rabbits as friends. Our cats are outside cats, but I let them in our shed to play with Theo every day. I do leave them alone for 5-10 minutes if I have to run to the house, but only because I know Theo has plenty of places to hide and has super sharp teeth that he is not afraid to use.
I do think that cats and rabbits can get along you just have to spend time bonding them.

Just be aware that though it's possible that cats and rabbits can get along, you don't want a cat that thinks it can play fight or scratch at your rabbit. A cat scratch can be fatal to a rabbit. Also know that the feces of cats can carry harmful bacteria, which could cause toxoplasmosis, so you don't want your rabbit to have access to your cats litter box.
https://rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

I found a kitten on the freeway off ramp in May and went to visit my bestie in no.calif. in June and she had baby bunnies and I just couldn't help myself and caught the one I wanted .Jax my kitty and Basil my bun are best buddies...they love each other. Basil always goes between Jax's front legs, I think she feels safe there..Jax cleans Basil..they run and play

Attachments

• 20201107_215221.jpg
    20201107_215221.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201015_151845.jpg
    20201015_151845.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back