can a rabbit feed another rabbits babies if she isnt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macy0810

Reaction score
I have 2 females, one had babies tuesday, a litter of 7. This was not her first litter she has had. My other female had babies thursday, this was her first litter. Well she had 4 and 2 have died already and the other 2 are real small and feel really cold. they are not warm and have the big bellies like the ones i know are being taken care of. My q is, can i put them 2 in the other nest so my one female can take care of them all? or is this too many babies for her to feed?

Hopefully some of the breeders will come along and offer some advice tonight, but in case they don't, I think it would be totally fine to put the two in with the more experienced mama. If she's a bigger breed, she shouldn't have any trouble nursing nine. I can't say for sure about the smaller breeds, but I don't think it's going to hurt to try.

Hope that helps!

Rue

thank you. i am not sure of her breed myself but she is kind of on the small side. she is doing good with her 7, im afraid that if i put the other 2 in there, then they will all not be able to eat when she goes to feed them.

I would put them in with the litter of nine. just check on them everyday and make sure that she is feeding all of them. She shouldn't have a problem with the new babies.
If you don't put them in with the other mom I would be afraid they would die.

That certainly is what I'd do. If they aren't getting enough, you could even move aside the biggest 2 of her own, so that they do.

I would put them in the other box. While I've never encountered this myself, I have had a very good friend foster babies into an already big litter and the momma took very good care of them and raised them along side her own. The momma was a dutch, had 7 of her own and took on 3 dwarf babies on top of her 7, and raised all, she was a little thin when they weaned but packed all her weight back on through careful feeding, she was alos 5.5 years old when she did this. It was either ask the dutch doe to raise the Nethie's or let the Nethie's die- as their mom died when they were two days old for unknown causes.

Just monitor the foster mom for her weight carefully and try to keep adjusting or supplimenting her to help her along.

By all means, foster those 2 over. You may need to bring them in and warm them up first, or "bury them" in the nest with the others.
If the others have nice full bellies then she should have no problems handling 2 more.

I have a New Zealand that handled 12 babies without a problem.

Don't forget to breed the doe you take the babies from back soon so you can get a "second chance" litter to see if she will be a good mom.
Also withhold feed from her for 24 hours so she will not get mastitis.

Back