Can a rabbit be fed adult pellets before 6 months old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I have a 4-5 month old rabbit I took in almost a month ago and I just realized that I'm running low on his alfalfa pellets. I have just enough left of his pellets to transition him over to Bugs and Evie's adult pellets because I have a ton of theirs. Money is tight now and I don't see the point in buying a new bag when he's not going to be with me much longer. Thank you!

It really doesn't matter, most of those categories are just made up by marketing anyway. Normally, baby rabbits eat the same stuff as the adults, unless your goal is butchering weight asap, that's where alfalfa and high protein has its merits.
I'm not convinced that fastest growth is the most healthy too, but I guess there isn't much difference one way or another.

Last edited:
Agree with what was said about marketing babies eat their mother's pellets anyway and don't see need to transfer them to alfalfa after she stopped nursing and back to regular pellets in a couple months. Also on popular in Europe adult pellets Burgess Adult pellets is stated that they are from 16 weeks not from 6 months, they have also Junior pellets under 16 months and dwarfs. So your 4,5 months rabbit surely be fine with adult pellets.
If you worry that your young rabbit is not getting enough protein you can give something in addition but I would say juniors are fine on adult pellets since it is only 5-10% of their diet.

I give unlimited pellets until 4 months, after that they tend to get fat on unlimited pellets so I have to cut portions then. Hay is unlimited anyway and most important part of their diet.

I'll transition him to the adult pellets. Thank you both!

Back