Calling single bunny owners!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiaohuihui

Reaction score
I am single and live alone. I work, of course, and go to the gym and run errands and socialize. What is the best way to make sure Xiaohuihui gets enough attention? He seems easily stressed and started thumping at night last week when I was working crazy hours. He's totally free range in my room so he gets plenty of time to run around, but I think he is lonely. Should I try to stick to a schedule or something?

The thumping could have been from that, but if they hear or smell something strange, that can also set them thumping. Some rabbits do like a routine, so that might help. When you are home make sure you spend some time with him, and if he likes to be petted, do lots of that, then when you aren't able to be with him, he may deal with it better. Also leave lots of toys and things for him to do while you are gone like cardboard boxes to chew on, phone books to rip up, you could make a digging box with shredded paper, rabbit safe wood chews. Rabbits usually sleep all day and are most active in the morning and in the evening. So that's when he will be wanting some interaction. If you get him neutered you could get him a bunny friend. That would help a lot, if you are able to find a pal that he likes and gets along with, but they would both need to be fixed for that to work.

If you can afford it, you should definitely get him a buddy. Rabbits do best in pairs/groups. I feel better knowing that when I work, they are not lonely. They keep each other company. It is hard being a single bunny -- you can always give them a lot of attention, but nothing will replace the companionship of another bun.

While I do agree that it would be great for him to have a bunny friend, it is lots of work!
Not to discourage you, I just mean since you mentioned that you work long hours, it may be very stressful for you.
I know right now I feel terrible as my two aren't getting enough out time, it makes me feel horrible.

I think that maybe trying to stick to a schedule would be best, bunnies do love their routines.
If in the future you think you would have time for two bunnies, that is always a great route as well.
Best of luck to you and Xiaohuihui :)

Latest posts

Back