Call me biased, but my rabbit is a prodigy.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tohkie

Reaction score
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/OgML7E7DRH8&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
Taught her this second trick "high five" and took about 3 days to master :)
So now she knows how to spin & high five, working on "fetch" next haha.

aww, too cute! how old is your bunny? I'd love to teach mine some tricks, but I think they may be too young still to have the attention span for it.

That's even cuter than the spin!!! Q-tip wouldn't have the patience for that. She'd be like "hey, you've got treats in your hand. You either give them to me or I just eat the whole hand". I cannot wait to see pictures of fetch.

How cute! What a smart little bun.

So far Rascal knows spin, paw (the same as your high five), up, and kiss (touches his nose to my nose).

Training has slowed since I adopted Appledot, because I cannot get alone time with either of them - if they smell treats they both mob me.

I did get Appledot to spin, but now I would have to lock one of them in the cage to let the other one learn new tricks in peace. We'll see.

You DO have a smart bunny! Wowee! Are you using the "clicker training" method? Or just reinforcing the behavior you want with treats..? Er...isn't that basically the same thing?! Haha

That is soo cute. I have not worked with my rabbit on learning tricks. Shiny Things does know kiss were she stands up and brings her heard forward so that I can give her a kiss easily. Your rabbit really is smart and I look forward to her fetch.

daisyandoliver wrote:
Aww! Wish mine could listen this well! Lol. :)

Find a treat that they REALLY like and they will. Rabbits can learn AMAZINGLY fast when they are motivated to do so. Actually rabbits LISTEN very well, it is the motivating part that gets tricky.

Booger learned in 2 minutes what "raisin raisin" means.

BunBun learned in 5 minutes that "kiss kiss" meant togive me a smooch on the lips if he wanted a piece of banana.

Oliver knows what food means, what nana means (bananas), he knows what hay means, he know what stop means apparently, and he knows when its time for bed because I walk over to his cage and so does he. :p He knows those things I just don't think i'd have the time or patience to teach him tricks..

But this video still made my day. :)

Nancy McClelland wrote:
When I tell people how smart rabbits truly are, most don't believe it.
:yeahthat:
My boyfriend still doesn't believe that Teddy's that intelligent. (He's only met her a couple times.) I'm a very sensitive person and I think it takes a relatively sensitive person to understand rabbits and be able to see how intelligent and emotional they are.

When I tell people that I'm training my rabbit for my exit project, they're like "...Seriously?" Um, yeah, she's not a vegetable. :rollseyes

littl3red wrote:
My boyfriend still doesn't believe that Teddy's that intelligent.
Time for a new boyfriend it seems, unless the bunny gives him the OK.

BunBun Rwa has his videos on YouTube in order to show what a rabbit can do.

The lads walk up to a mile a day without a leash, frequently at night. Try that with your average dog and it will be gone. It can be literally a car stopper when people realize that they are seeing rabbits out for a walk and not small dogs.

BunBun will do a 1/4 mile jog with a neighbor, play ball and go after cats. The lads will chase dogs. OK maybe there is only one dog so far that they actually chase, but they frequently stare down a pair of beagles and a pair of yappy chihuahuas.

They have complex personalities and emotions and continue to surprise me with how much they have learned and how they express it. One recent example is that sometimes they disobey my "commands" and disappear into the neighbors hedge. They don't come out if I stay on the sidewalk to call, but if I go open the gate to the backyard and call, they come hopping right out and go intoour backyard lickety-split.

The best way that I can discribe them is like autistic savants. They can be wickedly smart, but effective communication can be challenging and how they comply with "commands" can be a unique expression of their personality and mood. As in the above example with the hedge and the gate, they are frequently willing to come to a mutually satisfactory accomodation with you, but it can be quite a challenge to discover what that quid pro quo actually is.

Rabbits can be QUITE headstrong and I would say that you will most likely not be successful if you try to break a rabbit to your will. Taking BunBun for walks is how I stopped him from sneaking out of the yard and running away from me once he did so. He was like a puppy dog following me around in the backyard and coming over to me, but when he decided to sneak into the front yard it was a different story. My attempts to stop that behavior did not work and had the unintended consequence of making him run from me once he made it into the front yard because he did not want his neighborhood explorations cut short. It was like flipping a switch; in the backyard he was all over me and in the front yard he would run like the wind down the sidewalk from me. After a LOT of mutually disagreeable discipline to try to break him of that behavior, it finally occured to me that if I met his desire for exploring the neighborhood perhaps he would behave as he did in the back yard. In other words, BunBun trained me to take him for walks instead of me training him to stay in the back yard. I was owned by a bunny.

Back