californian or netherland dwarf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camie8

Reaction score
My mother just picked up this little girl for me earlier today. The lady told my mom sheis pure bred ND and I dont think she is ND at all..but i could be wrong. The lady told my mom she was born on july 4th... but when my mom got there she told her she wa born june 4th. Her head isnt as round as my ND cosmo. shes more on the longer side and her ears are nothing like ND. I believe she is a californian...anybody know?

105_2341.jpg

105_2342.jpg

105_2346.jpg

105_2349.jpg

Are you thinking Californian because of the colour pattern? This pattern can be seem in a few breeds, so just because the rabbit has that pattern does not mean it is that breed.

I would say that she is not a pure Netherland dwarf. Of course purebred and well bred and 2 different things, so she should be pure bred but not well bred so that she meets the standard.
Since she is only about 10 weeks old, you may have to wait for her to grow up a bit before you can get a better idea of the breeds in her.

No I was not thinking californian just because of the color. I know that netherlands can come in the himalayan color pattern. I am thinking the same..that if she is netherland that she isnt pure bred.

She could be a pure bred, just a poor quality one is all. She does look like a ND to me, just not a great one. California's are much much larger than Nethies, which is why they are a meat breed, it's hard to tell just by pictures, is she large? How much does she weight?

I agree a false dwarf ND
ND's have one dwarf gene and one regular gene. So breeding 2 true dwarfs together you have 50% dwarfs, 25% double dwarfs which is lethal also called peanuts and 25% false dwarfs both regular genes. False dwarfs are also called BUD(Big ugly doe) or BUB (Big ugly buck)they are not ugly btw! BUD's are often used as brood does, they can have and support larger litters and you don't get any peanuts from them.

I think she's probably a false dwarf nethie, too. Californians that old should be at least double the size of any purebred ND (10 week old calis are usually 5 lbs, where ND should only reach 2-1/2 lbs...some false dwarfs get to about 3 or 4 lbs I think).

At the age this little one is, it is definitely not a Californian, at 10 weeks a Cali would definitely be 5lbs or more and the body type is not right nor are the ears. The ears are way to small.

Latest posts

Back