calicivirus vaccination in western australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweets

Reaction score
hi there =)

I know you can get rabbits in western australia vaccinated against calicivirus but i've read some things about the vaccine like bad side affects....

I was just wondering, has anyone had their rabbit vaccinated against it and is it worth doing?
I don't know what to do...If i don't get Sweets vaccinated he could get calicivirus, but if i do he could have one of the side affects....?

thanks for any help you can give me :)

Katie

I think the side effects out weigh the risks of death, which if your bunny gets is fatal. Both my rabbits get it every year and nothing has happened along with hundreds of thousands of other buns. I think it's like any vaccine, which all had POSSIBLE side effects but the risk of them is far minimal compared to the poss outcome if you don't get it. Remeber before a vaccine can be released it has to be tested to be safe :)

yah that is true, thanks. I just worry about Sweets, but it would be better to have the vaccination...like you say, it's a fatal disease.

Thanks for your reply :)

Hi Sweets

I am in WA as well and got Sox vaccinated about 6 weeks ago? Not a single side effect what so ever. She was like eating within an hour. They gave her some medication to help with her recovery I think because she is so young. I think they said it was compulsory. I don't have the invoice with me but can let you know if you are interested.

Cheers, Carol

ok thanks for that Carol, that is good to know that Sox was ok...
I'll talk to the vet that I am doing work prac wth and see what they do, and how the bunnies are afterwards.
I imagine it's better to get the vaccine just incase.

Hi there,

I got one of my rabbits a vaccination when she was getting spayed.

I cant quite remember what it was for, it was either the calci virus or the other common one, but it cost me $65 from the vet.

Thanks =) The only bunny vaccine that we have here is calicivirus, as far as I know.

I'm taking Sweets tomorrow for his vaccination & will be staying at the vet for a couple of hours, so he can stay with me & I can watch him for any side effects or reactions.

Thanks for your replys guys, very helpful :)

The calicivirus isn't that dangerous for your rabbits, they have to come in direct contact with a wild rabbit who has the disease or the fresh droppings from one who has the disease.

Lucy hasn't had her's yet and most probably won't until she's been spayed and I start taking her place in public.

Hi all
I am new to the worl of Rabbits and was wondering what the calicivirus is and what age you should get your bunny vaccinated against it. I have a nine week old mini rex called Toby

Thanks

Sweets got his vaccination today =)
He was very well behaved. So far he's all fine too, which is good.

from what i've read you get the vaccine after 12 weeks of age....but i'm not 100% sure on that :)

Here's more info on the vaccine...

Cylap RCD Vaccine

Composition - Each 1 mL dose contains inactivated rabbit calicivirus (2,560 haemagglutination units), thiomersal (as a preservative) not more than 0.1 mg/mL.

Description - Liquid oil adjuvanted vaccine.

Indications - Control of rabbit calicivirus disease (RCD) in European rabbits.

Precautions - To be used by, or under the direction of a registered veterinary surgeon. Rabbits in good health should be immunised when they are least likely to be environmentally stressed by extremes of temperature or humidity. A small number of animals in any population may fail to respond to vaccination as a result of immunological incompetence or for some other reason. Some breeds of European rabbits, particularly dwarf rabbits, may respond differently to vaccination, possibly due to their specific genetic profile.

First aid - Self-injection. Accidental self-injection may lead to an inflammatory response, and medical advice should be sought on the management of deep injections, particularly those near a joint or associated with bruising. If possible the application of gentle squeezing pressure with absorbent material (e.g. facial tissues) at the injection site will swab up unabsorbed vaccine. Strong squeezing of the site should be avoided. The damaged area should be thoroughly cleansed and a topical antiseptic applied.

Disposal - Dispose of empty vials and outer packaging by wrapping with paper and putting in garbage. Discarded needles should immediately be placed in a designated and appropriately labelled sharps container.

Withholding Periods - Nil.

Adverse Reactions - In a small number of vaccinated animals a localised injection site reaction may occur. This may be seen as a swelling and/or alopecia (loss of hair). Some rabbits may show a transient general malaise. As with all immunobiological and chemotherapeutic agents, occasional hypersensitivity reactions such as anaphylaxis may occur. In such an event these rabbits should be treated without delay by the parenteral administration of antihistamines, corticosteroids or adrenaline as is appropriate.

Dosage and Administration - The entire contents of the bottle should be used as soon as possible. Aseptic techniques should be applied if the vaccine is held for use for any length of time to prevent possible contamination. Each injection should be with a sterile syringe.

Dose - 1 mL injected subcutaneously high on the neck. Massage injection site for approximately 10 seconds to reduce the chance of possible injection site reactions.

Vaccination program
- Primary vaccination - Rabbits should be vaccinated at 2 1/2 to 3 months of age. If epizootic conditions make vaccination advisable before the age of 2 1/2 months, the animals should be revaccinated at 2 1/2 to 3 months of age.
- Booster vaccination. An annual booster vaccination is recommended.

Thanks for the info =) I couldn't find info on it anywhere!

Sweets had his vaccination & a few days later he got quite a big scab where the needle went, but he was fine & nothing else happened, I just made sure it was clean & he wasn't chewing/licking it etc...

off topic I know but Sweets is such a lovely pet!! He's my first bunny & I didn't realize how sweet they could be, more like a little dog!! I love him so much!!! :inlove:

I thought they could contact it via mossies too? Anyway great you had your bunny vaccinated, I had all mine done and only 1 had an adverse reaction just a little lethargic for 2 days then fine on day 3. Still worth getting done.

Latest posts

Back