Calcium Stains?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadeRabbit

Reaction score
:?:dutch

I have searched and searched. And I have got mixed thoughts and feelings on the subject. In short, how do I get rid of Calcium Stains in Rikki Tikki's Litter box and cage?

Vinegar?
Bleach?
Something else?

:?:dutch

I use a mix of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. For litter boxes, I first wash it out with soap and water, then rinse. I spray the vinegar mix and give it a good scrub. If there are any really hard spots, you can use strait vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub it off. If you do it on a regular basis (I do it every week), the stains should be easy to take care of. For the cages, I just spray them down and wipe up with paper towel. Again, if they are bad you can use strait vinegar, let it sit and scrub it.

Really bad stains may require more work. I recently acquired a corner litter box that had bad stains. It took over night and a few times scrubbing to get them off, but they are off now and it look pretty much like new.

I have heard that CLR can work, but I do worry about using chemicals around the rabbits. It might be better for areas that are not the cage where there are pee stains.

Yep, I use vinigar. If I really want to disinfect ( like after my sick bunny died and I was getting a new one) I use bleach but that doesn't so much get rid of the calcium staining.

Another tip; if you use blankets or towels and they get pee stains, you can add some strait vinegar to the wash load and that should get rid of them. You can also spray the area and put it through the regular wash. No harsh chemicals and gets the job done. I add it to the water with the detergent before I add the blankets.

Back