Cage size for multipuls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharfly

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits, both under 3lbs and am looking at getting atleast 2 more(why are there so many breeders with really neat bunnies in my area??). I would like to have them all in one cage, after spays and neuters, and was wondering if there is a minium size? Right now I have a 5'x3' with a wrap aroundshelf and it looks like there is plenty of room for 1 or 2 more rabbits, I also attach a puppy play pen to it during the day so they basically have my entire living room. I can probley expand it out 2 more feet and make it 7'x3' and I can always build up and add more shelves... The netherlands dwarf that I have been promised should be born Aug 24. So have some time too figure things out... lol My living room is starting too look like a zoo!!!

My general rule would be about twice the cage size as a single. You might be able to get away with a bit less as you would only need 1 litter box and such, but I would not have 2 rabbits in what is more normal for a single rabbit. The cage my bonded pair is in is about 2.5 times the size of what a single would be. I have built up, so it doesn't take up much more floor space than a store bought cage but it much bigger.

In the cage you have, I would do 2 rabbits, maybe 3 if they are smaller and get plenty of time out. However, for 3 I would build another level if you can so they could each have a separate space if they want.

Do keep in mind that not all rabbits will get along, so you can end up with separate cages. It might be good to plan what you would do long term if they don't get along, you may want to have cages that are on top of each other to save floor space.

Before putting the rabbits together, read up on bonding. Rabbits are territorial and like to establish a hierarchy, and sometimes this means they fight surprisingly hard (and dangerously) against each other. Best time to bond is after spay/neuter and a little time for the hormones to calm down. FYI, it's not unusual for baby rabbits to start fighting when they reach puberty.

There's tons of info in our Library. Here's the link!
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Back