Cage, new things and name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayna345

Reaction score
Hi again everyone! I may possibly have a baby Netherland Dwarf tomorrow! I'm not 100% sure yet and won't know for sure till tomorrow, but I do want to prepare just to in case, I only have a kind of small cage I got for my Guinea pigs once (because I didn't expect to be getting a new bunny so fast!) but I do plan on getting a much bigger cage for my new bunny as soon as possible! But what kind of cage should I get for a Netherland? I am also going to pick up food and stuff tomorrow before I get her (if I do get her tomorrow) any advice on what I should pick up for her? Also not too sure what I'm going to name her but I'm thinking Cloudy. Any opinions? All are welcomed and appreciated! Sorry for all the questions! I'm a first time bunny mommy and just want to be the best that I can!

She's most likely going to be all black with a white tip on her nose and she's 8 weeks old, if I do get her I will be sure to follow up with some pictures! :)

Alfalfa pellets, Oxbow if you can. Preferably alfalfa hay, but timothy or any other grass hay would be ok.

Actually, I don't have a cage at all, but have a carrier & a 4ft square exercise pen.

The name can wait until you get to know her; maybe Stormy would fit better.

Don't feed it too much alfalfa hay. It has too much to take in at one time, so timothy hay has been the best kind of hay for bunnies, scientist approved. Get some pellets too

Food will be an important choice. Lake Condo suggests good choices. Just be sure that whoever has her now gives you some of what she's already been eating. You will want to mix the current food with the new so that she can transition gradually. Sudden diet changes are not good for bunnies.

Alfalfa hay is best for baby bunnies. As she grows, you will transition to timothy hay or other grass hays.

For her new condo, I'd suggest you take a look at NIC (or c&c) cages. x-pens also can work. There is a topic on this forum where people have posted photos of their rabbit condos. You can take a look there for ideas.

This link can show you how to make these:

http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

This will give you general guidelines, but flooring is flexible. You can see various options others have chosen by looking at the photos on this forum. I don't know the link address but it had "cages" and "2012" in the title.

edit: oops! I just saw that the original question was posted a month ago. ah, oh well, hopefully someone can benefit from the info.

We give ours Alfalfa til they're six months--extra protein and calcium good for growing bunnies, bad for adults. You can add veggies to the diet at 4 months, slowly.

Latest posts

Back