Cage Liners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThornInMySide

Reaction score
Hi!
I currently have two rabbits in separate X-Pen cages with fleece under them. Both of them have a tendency to not only move the cage around by pushing it with their head, they also dig and chew holes in the fleece and make their way to my carpet. I'm thinking of changing the enclosures to the wire DIY squares that you can make into any size and shape. I found some that are frosted, so my rabbits can't see each other since they are housed next to each other and HATE each other. That way it is a little harder for them to move the enclosure around.

My concern is still the "bedding" or lining. I'm not sure if there is some type of "chew proof" mat that I could put underneath or if I should use the foam puzzle piece mats and put fleece over those. I don't know what my best option would be not only for my rabbits but something that isn't crazy expensive.

Currently I have around 6 huge fleece pieces that I alternate for them and they are slowly turning into giant strips of torn up fabric. I need something that will last a little longer and not make me go completely insane.

Thanks in advance!

Mine always chewed holes in fleece too. You could get a piece of rolled linoleum from a hardware store. They may even have end-cuts. You'll just need to be sure the edges are beyond the pen (or grid) walls so they can't chew the edge.

Some rabbits are fine an any lino. Others find certain ones slippery. They do have lino that has grip. You can feel the samples. Most have texture but there are a few that have actual grip. One had a surface that felt like a cinder block. Just rub them with your hand to check for grip.

If you go with a grip-py lino, then you can always put mats or soft things for laying on.

I used lino under a NIC cube cage. I just laid the piece of lino on top of my carpet.

For a pen border, if you want to prevent them being able to move it so easily, as well as provide a border to help keep poop, ect in, using a 1x3 or 1x4 pine board from lowes, home depot, etc, works well. I just zip tie it to the bottom edge of the pen on each side. This works best if the pen is in a square/rectangle configuration.

Latest posts

Back