Cage Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was just wondering, for those of you who have wire bottomed cages, what do you use for the bunnies to get relief from the wire? I've seen some use cardboard but that seems like it might get messy, and it doesn't seem very supportive and strong. I thought about using inside/outside carpet, but am afraid about them chewing on the ends. I had planned to put the hay rack by where the wire will be, but I guess if they do to the bathroom on the carpet it will be messy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tori

I have wire shelving that I cover with grass mats. Won't hurt them if they eat it -- although some rabbits will eat the whole thing pretty quick.

And I have thin plywood on some, and carpet on the ones who don't eat carpet. My bunnies are rarely caged and the cages are really big so boredom isn't much of an issue. Don't think I'd trust carpet unless that was the case.

The untreated plywood gives them traction and they can safely chew it.

I try and keep them supplied with toys and apple and pear fruit tree branches to keep them otherwise occupied. Although untreated grass mats are great, they can safely eat those and they're pretty cheap.

sas :bunnydance:

I use carpet for my bunny's but they aren't in cages. They don't seem to bother the carpet. I guess it would depend on how much of a chewer yours is. If you use it I would watch them closely to see if they are eating it. Like Pipp mine have lots of stuff to chew, I am sure that helps keep them busy chewing safe stuff.

My bunny's are mostly litter trained. When they do go on the carpet I take it outside and hose it off with some soap. I also bought a bigger roll so after a few washes I would just change it out.

Good luck
Amy

Mine WERE litter trained until I started using the hay racks, now they much and poop and pee where the rack is. I really have to put a litter box under there or move it so somewhere else where a litter pan will fit. Or go back to the 'hay in the litterbox' and live with them pooping and peeing on their intended dinner. (Although Sherry will always find a way to get into the hay storage area and jump waaay up to get on top of the bale, so the top layer still ends up in her litter box).

But a brush, dustpan and a little vinegar keeps the carpet and plywood in good shape.

I use a piece of plywood for them to sit on or in the summer they each get a piece of marble to sit on- they like the coolness. We tried a small piece of carpet once but Cerridwyn shredded it.

tori wrote:
So for the grass mats can you cut them to get them the size you want? And how would I clean it if they mess on it?

Thanks!
Tori

You can buy them in various sizes, they don't cut all that well, at least not the ones I use. I will use twist ties to secure them to the wire and throw them out when they get grotty. (They only cost about a $1).

I have thin oak plywood in there right now, though, and it's staying pretty clean with brushing off the poops and putting vinegar on the pee stains.

I use dish sink mats - for some reason they don't really chew through them - WalMart had a sale on them marked down to $1.50 so I decided, lets see what this does. I was expecting them to rip them up, but I can see no major damage. Maybe because they don't spend the majority of their time in a cage - they have a LOT of things to chew on in their pen.
I also bought a plastic slotted EZ mat for my pigs cage - it's a harder plastic and it seems to be holding up well (ironically, my guinea pigs seemed to have enjoyed chewing on the sink mats more than my rabbits - go figure, lol).

I just put them in bleach & hot water when they get gross.

Back