Cage decision help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which cage?

• Living world x-large $76

• Dog crate 42" - $70

• Dog crate 36" - $58

Results are only viewable after voting.

spammayy

Reaction score
I’m hoping to adopt a Holland or mini lop (no more than 5-6 lbs as an adult) and I’m very conflicted about what cage to get. My two options are the Hagen Living World Habitat X-large (46.9 x 22.8 x 24 in ;19 lbs) or a dog crate w/ double door – either 42 x28 x 30 in. (35 lbs) or a slightly smaller one at 36 x 23 x 25 in (25 lbs). I already have an ex pen to attach to either one for outside time when I am home. Right now the habitat is $100 at Petco and I also have 20% off coupon (with additional 6% cash back through ebates) bringing the price to about $76. The larger dog crate is $70 and the 36” $58 on Amazon. Sorry for another thread about this but I couldn't get a direct comparison from the other threads

Right now I’m leaning towards the cage for these reasons:
- deep pan in case poop and hay fly out
- much lighter for transport (can just take the top off and throw a pc into backseat and another into trunk); dog crate is collapsible but SO heavy
- very nice looking cage lol & more “airy” looking
- pretty good deal for the cage!

Tempted to go with the dog crate for these reasons:
- can add shelves (but more disassembly if transporting)
- can visually see more of the cage but bars very thick and dark which inhibits view a little
- fair amount cheaper if the 36” would be sufficient

X-large habitat - $76 on Petco w/added coupons and ebates
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BNE1YA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Midwest crate 42” or 36” - $70 and $58 respectively
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OX89VK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Please advise! This will be my first bunny so I’m quite without actual firsthand experience with these things though I have been researching for a few months now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest permanently attaching the x-pen to whatever cage you choose and leave the cage door open 24/7. That way the exercise pen becomes part of bunny's permanent living space. The more space the better. In other words, the cage and the pen are all part of his permanent living space.

Then when you are home, you can open the x-pen to allow bunny to explore in the surrounding area (bunny-proofed of course).

Thanks for the replies! I would like to eventually transition to cage + ex pen as the whole cage in the future. Right now, I would prefer the bunny to be in a completely enclosed cage because I have a dog who is a bit prey driven. He is contained in another room while I am at work and has never been able to get out but in the first few months (or years?? lol) I would like to have that peace of mind that at least the bunny would not be in an open ex pen that the dog could get through much more easily!

I think you should go with the habitat, does have a deeper pan which will make things 100x less messier haha my bunny likes to flick his bedding everywhere

You could also consider making a NIC cage. The possibilities are endless with those. You can make it just about any configuration of size provided you have enough grids. Shelves are easy to put in.

IM000411.jpg

I have that cage. I like it very much.
I got it for my first lop, Mimzy. I took the little shelf out for the first month because he would literally never come out but now I put it back in and he loves sitting on top and flopping there. It`s very easy to clean and put together. With the door on the front he can hop in and out on his own. I love the 2 sections for opening the top. I would totally get it for that price. I paid 120$ for it.

But I'm planning on making my own NIC cage in a few months if I can get him bonded to my new bunny.

Back