cage bedding ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gale

Reaction score
I have our rabbit, who normally stays outside in a run, in the house while it's hot during the hottest part of the day. Only thing is she has to stay in a cage (dh doesn't want any animals in the house so it's a big accomplishment even having her inside). I tried those cage liners but she just scratches them into a big wad. I don't have enough old towels to use those every day. I have equine pine and I can shred newspaper. Would either of those work? I'd rather not use straw because I don't want to bring bugs in the house in it.

I use my kids old baby blankets, mostly the fleece ones. I am not sure where you are from but Dollarama sells little fleece blankets in the pet section. I have too shake out and wash the blankets every other day or so. I also have a litter box in each cage, with a couple handfuls of wood stove pellets covered with hay.

I use my kids old baby blankets, mostly the fleece ones. I am not sure where you are from but Dollarama sells little fleece blankets in the pet section. I have too shake out and wash the blankets every other day or so. I also have a litter box in each cage, with a couple handfuls of wood stove pellets covered with hay.

thanks. I had a small litter box in it but she just kept turning it over so I don't think I'll bother. That's why I wanted some kind of litter that will soak up anything if she pees, at least. I don't have any blankets I can use and don't really want to buy any for this.

newspaper, aspen shavings, carefresh, pine wood stove pellets, paper litter...

Because it's such a temporary accomodation, you could even get away with pine shavings.

The only thing is, she may dig anything away if it holds heat, and it's cooler to lay on plastic than litter. Keep her in a cool area of the house, and put a frozen water bottle in with her if you don't have air conditioning.

thanks. I used shredded paper and she was able to push some aside and lay on the cool plastic. We do have A/C which is normally set to 81 but I lowered it to 79 for a few hours because she seemed hot. She's just incredibly bored. She has a hay ball and water and a jingle bell toy but maybe I need to put some sticks in for her or something. She's mostly been lying down (same as she would be if she was in the heat outside) and cleaning herself.

Latest posts

Back