Cage Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicalovesjesse

Reaction score
[align=center]Okay so first off hi!
I know I haven't been on in a pretty long while. Life has been busy. Between my job and vet tech courses I really don't have a lot of extra time. :(
So I think I'll try to come on more often... I miss this forum!

Anyways my question. I'm the next month or so I will be moving in with my boyfriend and his room mates.
It is a decent sized apartment but our room isn't as large as the one I'm in now and therefore I don't have enough room for a NIC cage.
They also have a cat and I will be needing something more secure than Pippin's NIC cage.
I still want it big enough for a litter box and room for him to hop a little. But It can't be huge.
He is a mini rex so he isn't a big bunny.
I will also point out that the cage will mainly be for when I'm at work and for bedtime.
Otherwise the little booger will get plenty of play time.

Thanks for any suggestions!
< 3 Jessica
[/align]

Hi there Jessica. Welcome back.

I don't know why but the centered text in your post really threw me off. I found it hard to read. lol :p

Anyways! Is it because of the cat that you want to give the bun a cage with a top while you are not home? I'm sure Pippin is going to have to adjust to a slightly smaller space regardless, but you could still probably make him a smaller NIC cage and it'll be easy to make a top for it right? Perhaps a 2x4? It won't be too bad because he will be out to run when you are home.

The other things to consider are those SuperPet extra large cages. The "extra large" is smaller than a 2x4 NIC I believe.

Or perhaps you want to go vertical? You can build upwards with your NIC grids if square footage footprint is a problem.

Sorry about the text.
I personally think centering it makes it looks cleaner.
^.^
And a NIC cage is really just put of the question based on the amount of room we have.
With a bed and computer desk it is nearly full.
And building up will make it too hard to clean. I need fairly easy to clean out because I work full time AND I'm in school.
Another thing is Pippin hates "layers" He had a few in his current cage and never used them.
I have been looking at larger superpet cages...
My boyfriend thinks they look nicer and there is also the ability to stack my hamsters superpet cage on top of Pippin's if I went that route.

The only pet store cage I recommend for normal sized bunnies (3-5lbs) is the Super Pet GIANT (not x-large). It is 47" long and 24" wide....so its a tad longer then a 2x3 NIC cage, but not as wide. I switched to those cages for a few months before going back to NICs. I really liked the cages (still have them, actually), but I wanted my bunnies to live in larger NICS so they had more space.

I think the SP Giant is a great cage for those who don't like the look of NIC cages (they seem....intimidating and "cagey" sometimes) and those who need something more "compact" but still large enough for a rabbit to live comfortably.

I have a Superpet Giant that I got from Petsmart, so that's where I'd order it from unless you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

I got mine in a 2 pack on Lnt.com, but I don't think they carry them anymore....its worth a quick look. My 2 pack was $136 with free shipping...so even if you didn't need a 2nd one its almost worth it to order from there and then sell the 2nd cage locally to make some money off of it :p.

I went ahead and ordered it from petsmart.
>.< I have to say I hate spending that much money on welll... anything but I'm super excited for it to come!

I hope you enjoy it I use one for my bonded pair although they are only in it at night for 6 hours.

And one for my foster cat it makes a great cat cage to keep 3 1/2 week old babies contained.

You will like it do not use the ramp they will not need it.

I hope you like it.

Latest posts

Back