Cabbage? ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stang-girl13

Reaction score
My bf got cabbage instead on romaine lettuce ....is it ok to give my bunny ?

No, you should avoid giving your bun cabbage, as it can cause painful gas and watery stools. Maybe try a nice piece of carrot instead this time? :)

No, you should avoid giving your bun cabbage, as it can cause painful gas and watery stools. Maybe try a nice piece of carrot instead this time? :)

I agree that cabbage can cause gas in rabbits, but carrots are problematic too because of their high sugar content.

I'm afraid your BF needs to go back to the store for some romaine.

Ooooo nooo I already gave her a tone of it !! Is my bunny ganna die

Ok I took the rest of it away an told bf not to give it to her ! She got plenty of water n hay

Cruciferous veggies like cabbage and broccoli are considered safe veggies for rabbits, though they should be limited, and sometimes they can cause gas problems for some rabbits so shouldn't be given at all in those cases. I just tend to avoid giving gas producing veggies because I worry about them causing problems, but other people do feed them to their rabbits without any problems. So just keep a close eye on your bun and look out for signs of an upset stomach or pain(sitting hunched for long periods, not moving around much, belly pressing and changing positions frequently, loss of appetite, eye squinting, any other abnormal or unusual behavior). If you notice any of these, you can try simethicone but if your bun doesn't start feeling better within a few hours, you may need to see the vet.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/bloat-gas-10385/

In the future, when introducing new foods(besides most grass hays), they should always be introduced one at a time, starting with small amounts and gradually increasing each day, only if there are no signs of digestive upset.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/vegetables-12009/

Last edited:
O she eats dryed fruits an fresh grapes an apples carrots lettuce ...shes only 4 months old ...when I left for work she was floped im her bed just chilling

oh yeah I wasn't suggesting a ton of carrots by any mean, just look up amounts of different veggies which are safe to give to buns on the internet at reputable rabbit sites:)

I would reduce the amount of fruit you are giving your rabbit, apple, grapes and carrot should only be given in moderation anyway and deffo shouldn't be having it everyday. The variety of my rabbits food is green and maybe has a small piece of fruit every other day.
Mine loves kale, which he normally gets everyday, with some herbs (basil, coriander and parsley) and then has a small piece of fruit daily.
At 4 months old she should only be having very small amounts anyway, she's having too much :( cut back on fruit, give more greens with a mix of herbs and only use fruit as treats. Remember to introduce slowly and in small amounts :)

Latest posts

Back