C and c cages / bunny condo help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@rabbitmummy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to build a bunny condo for my two and would appreciate some advice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-What flooring should I use?

I was thinking of using Plywood covered with lino however am not completely sure... What are you using?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Would by bunnies chew the zip ties/ wire ties?

Do your rabbits chew the plastic zip ties?

How many floor should I have?

I'm planning of having two big floors and then 2 little ones at the side so 5 in total! Do you think this is big enough for two bunnies with lots of "outside time?"

What size should I have it?

I was thinking 5 grids high, 5 grids long and 2 or 3 grids wide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425489017.820875.jpg

For the bottom I used one of those industrial cushioned mats you can find in the hardware store. Like the ones they use to stand on in kitchens. It's non slip and easy to clean. My condo is 3 grids high, 2 deep, and 3 wide. I wouldn't make it too high, I'd be scared of falling accidents. My condo has three stories. For levels my husband cut plywood and we covered it with mats as well. My bunnies don't chew the zip ties, once they're tied on you can snip them down and they're barely visible.

image.jpg

I used a piece of rolled linoleum for the bottom and just put it down directly on my carpet. So it wasn't technically attached to the cage but worked just fine. I used carpet scraps for upper levels.

I would not go deeper than 2 grids or it will be too far of an arm reach for cleaning.

When deciding on upper levels, you'll want to reserve some areas that are open above (2 levels high) so bunnies can fully stretch upward on hind legs.

Be sure to get sturdy zip ties. There are some very thin, very short ones that would break easily.

My rabbits never chewed the zip ties.

I did not use ramps.

IM000411.jpg

Hello, I also used plywood floor covered with lino, it's worked well for me though it can be a tad slippery at times. (He hops around fine, just sometimes if he's stretching/reaching he's feet will push out from under him. You can put blankets down though on top.

Bandit doesn't chew the zip ties, once they're pulled tight they sit quite flush with the grids, I have the connecting piece on the outside of the cage, in case it's still a bit spikey from where I trimmed it off.

How many floors? I would go with 2 floors, or three floors with a shelf. How many floors you can fit depends on what type of rabbit you have, if you have netherland dwarfs or similar, or a lop breed, you can fit the levels into a smaller space. For medium sized rabbits with tall ears, I made the main level 2 grids tall so he can stretch up fully.

5 grids high is very tall, I have seen some that height, but 3-4 is a good height. Mine is 5 long, 2 deep and 3 tall. It suits us well, I've also seen partial levels done where the top level may have only been half as long as the base.

I posted about my construction process on my bunny blog, starting on this page here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=73547&page=39

Thank you very much for your answers.... They're really helped! How big are your storage cubes as the ones on ebay are 36.5cm!? Are these smaller then usual?😊

I've seen different sizes. In fact, I used to have countless grids, but some were 11" and some were slightly smaller or larger (can't remember any more). I do remember having to match them properly before building something.

Just be sure there are 9 squares across each grid, or the openings could pose a hazard.

Thank you very much for your answers.... They're really helped! How big are your storage cubes as the ones on ebay are 36.5cm!? Are these smaller then usual?😊

That's about the standard size. Mine are much the same at 14 inches or just shy of 36cm with 9 squares along each side.

Back