Buying mum and babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
Ok so this may be totallt irrelevant, although i'm hoping it is not! I saw the most gorgeous rabbit ever in a pet shop yesterday, it was white, with a ginger layer on its back then a sprinkling of black spots, and i have seen pics but i never thought i would ever see one, but when i was admiring it the shop owner said it has 5 2 week old babies, as if she couldn't get any more gorgeous!There is one white, one black, one the same as her and 2 others, at this point i was too excited to listen planning how i could get her!

So my question is, if i am allowed her and her babies would it be safe to move her to a new home with the babies at a young age when she doesn't know me? The shop owner is actually going on holiday soon so i would leave it as late up until that as possible so she would be less protective, but any thoughts?

Before buying her maybe spend more time with her at the pet shop. Give her some tid bits of carrots or something and pet her. She shouldn't be more scared then she would have been at first moving into a noisy pet shop. She might actually be gratefull that you would take her and her kits in. And once they get to know you, they should like you...... does this help? :bunnydance:

Not to burst your bubble, or spoil the moment,but one thing I wanted to mention. All five of those babies, if you are going to keep them, will need to be spayed/neutered. Until they are old enough, they will have to be separated by gender when they are about three months old.

That beind said-congrats! I wish you well, and I hope you can get them! :D:bunnydance:

hey guys thanks for the replies, i am allowed by my man to have them just got to ask the shop owner if he will sell the mall together, but i expect he will, going to ask monday wish me luck! I had planned to go in a few times to get the rabbit used to me, and buy some toys to put in her house so she had them and knew them when she moves with me, and i will take loads of her soiled materials to put in her new hutch to make it smell of her etc, anything else i should do to make her settle with them? She seems to be a good mum so hopefully she won't stress too much!

And thanks gentle giants, yeah i know how much this is going to cost me, i had an accidental breeding myself of 6 babies, i kept them all before you wonder lol, and they are all getting done soon, and i'm going to buy 2 brand new hutches if the man says yes to me, ihave the money and some experience of rearing kits with my one litter,and all you guys on here to help me lol!

Gentle Giants: At 2 weeks old the babies still need to be together and with their mom for milk. Oh ok i see now. :rainbow::hug2:

Grumpy: Congrats that you can give thema great home! Do you know what breed she is? The kits? Well if the shop is open today, then maybe ask the owner and just spend some time with her everyday you can to make sure she learns to like you. The babies should take you VERYquickly because they're at such a young age.

No they aren't open until monday, i missed them by half an hour today, they had a half day for some reason selfish people letting me worry all weekend! The breed i think is Holland lop, but i'm not sure, and haven't asked about the dad yet, was just admiring them on fri and he said that he couldn't sell her when he thought she may be pregnant, so selling her is obviously his intention,just hope no one else has reserved her or something already!

So the owner maybe can't sell her because she might be pregnant? Again! and she has 5 two week old kits! That's bad!She might kill those kits to make room for the others! You need to get her asap! Why would they even keep bucks in with her!? That's stupid!common sense as well! try to found out how far along she is!

No sorry i wrote that wrong my apologies. She was meant for sale until he thought she was pregnant with these 5, so he didn't want to sell her until he knew, now there are babies i am hoping he will plan to sell mum and babies when they are old enough, and so i can just buy them early, i doubt she was mated after birth as he thought she was pregnant so wouldn't hopefully have a male in with her but i will ask this if i take them!

grumpybabies wrote:
And thanks gentle giants, yeah i know how much this is going to cost me, i had an accidental breeding myself of 6 babies, i kept them all before you wonder lol, and they are all getting done soon, and i'm going to buy 2 brand new hutches if the man says yes to me, i have the money and some experience of rearing kits with my one litter, and all you guys on here to help me lol!

Oh great, that's so good to hear. Good luck, I hope you can get the mall soon! Tell the pet shop guy he won't get a better chance to sell them all, and it won't hurt the babies any cause they'll be going with mama!

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Gentle Giants: At 2 weeks old the babies still need to be together and with their mom for milk. Oh ok i see now.

Yeah, I didn't mean separate them now, I meant after weaning. Sorry if I said that in a confusing way.

I think its awesome that you're willing to do this and they'll get a great home!

Peg

Thanks TinysMom that's so nice of you to say!Just got to wait until tom morning 9am to phone the owner and ask, it is like waiting for christmas as a kid again, i'm so nervous and worried that someone else has reserved them or something! Will post as soon as i know!

Sorry i thought i had posted. I think he thought i was crazy! He said they are way too young and i said i wanted mum too but she is promised to someone else, so the only way i can have the babies is wait until they are 8 weeks old and pay $25 each (roughly$50) for them. I definitely want the one that looks like mum, prob the white one as my heart bunny that i lost 2 years ago when i was on holiday was white, and the 2 i didn't know the colours are both black and grey so maybe i'll have one of them! More money than sense!

As a side note, on another forum i go on, i said about these rabbits too and a guy there actually worked out how much each rabbit costs and told me i'm in over my head, well i don't drink or smoke or go clubbing, i choose to spend my money on my animals, so as long as they are cared for and get all they need i can have how many i want surely? What do you guys think? Especially breeders who have loads more than me lol!

Its nobody's business what you do with your money as long as you're not in debt up to your eyeballs and needing government help or something.

SHEESH.

Sorry - still upset about someone butting in on a friend's life yesterday and hurting their feelings all because the person had a soapbox and agenda of their own....

Peg

Well the guy i was talking about has apologised, he obviously didn't mean it the way he said it because he said he hates people telling him what animals he can or can't have so i feel better now! Thanks for understanding. And TinysMom it is a shame about your friend, not a good friend of theirs to behave like that!

Latest posts

Back