Buying horse hay bales?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-bunniz

Reaction score
Is it ok to use the bales of horse hay?
Our normal hay (wich I might add now, has become pretty dusty and un-fresh) is now soooo expensive (spending about £18+ per week on the 4 guinea pigs and 1 rabbit just with hay, pellets have got expensive aswell :X ) not to mention its pretty far away and getting back and forth all the time isnt cheap nor easy!

I buy 50 pound square bales of Timothy hay for my rabbits, horses, and other critters. As long as you have a place to store it, it would be fine - and it's much cheaper to buy it in larger quanaties and from a local farmer - at least here, it is.

I have four piggies and NINE bunnies, so imagine how much I was spending on hay! =P

I've found a local farmer now though, who sells me a nice big bale of meadow hay for £3.50. I've never had any problems with it, it's really good, clean, fresh, wonderful smelling hay. I supplement with bits of timothy etc occasinally, but I buy two of these bales and they last me about 6-8 weeks. I would find out what types of grasses are in the hay, and as long as it's not heavy on alfalfa or anything I'm sure it would be fine, especially if you supplement.

Also on a pellet note, what pellets are you feeding? I feed Supa Rabbit Excel, and it works out quite a bit cheaper to buy from greenmule.co.uk, even with delivery. Whatever you're feeding you might have more luck looking online! =)

well i am suppose to pick up a bale today as soon as the gentleman calls me , it is a bale of mixed grass and i cant wait this will save me a ton of money with my hay hogs

I always buy bales of timothy hay from local farmers when its available. Just be sure to confirm that it has never been exposed to the elements bc hay will mold if exposed to moisture.

But its so much cheaper and usually a lot better hay if you can find a good farmer locally!

Haley wrote:
I always buy bales of timothy hay from local farmers when its available. Just be sure to confirm that it has never been exposed to the elements bc hay will mold if exposed to moisture.

But its so much cheaper and usually a lot better hay if you can find a good farmer locally!

If I remeber right its in a hay shed (3 full sides, 1 open side) because its used for the horses on the farm.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back