Buying a bunny from a breeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
Hi, everyone again:) I just wanted to say that buying from a pet store andbuying from a breeder are two different options, but for us,a breeder was the better way. In defence of the pet storewhere Gimli was purchased, their (pet stores') cages were very cleanand people are'nt allowed to hold/pet the rabbits, ect., unless buyingor seriously thinking about it. Unfortunately,whenI asked, the store employees were'nt able to tell meGimli's age.( wanted to know for neutering )He was advertisedas a Netherland dwarf, but he's turning out to look ratherdifferent---with LONG ears, long thin face , and a slenderbody . He's very sweet, though, and I would'nt sell him for "silver norgold":p.Breeder's are an entirely different option but IMO the best way to go! I've had a good experience with all three breeders of our 3types ofrabbits ; Netherland dwarf, Flemish giant,& mini-rex(sorry if that sounded confusing:?).Bybuying from breeders you have an opportunity to make new friends, aswell as continued help if you need it.

Have a great weekend !

Kadish Tolesa :sunshine:

I think buy rabbits from breeders are good mineour both from breeders and you see the mum and dad and get to know whatthey were like as a babies but in pet shops they even sell somepregant,ill, and the wrong sex.

I just visited a nice clean pet store but theyhad a sign saying netherland dwarfs. some were but two bunnies in thecage were Holland lops that ears had not gone down yet.bluebird

i got my bunnies from a pet stre who look aftertheir animal really well!! and we spoke to teh shop keeper and askerQuestions about them and they were pure beed rabbits not mix like mostrabbits are in pet shops so we were lucky!! hehe!!

I am partial to adoption. But I would be okaywith buying from a good breeder / pet store. What truly matters is thatyou take good care of your bunnies (as I am sure you do).

Flopsy and Fluffy were inpulse buys from a petstore. Glad I have them though. Here is my imput on my first choices toget an pet. I am basically for the purebred dog/pet, but here's theorder I would suggust getting an animal as an pet.

1. Spayed/ Nutured Rabbit from Reascue or SPCA
2. Animal that needs a home ASAP
3. A purebred pet from a responsible breeder.
4. Responisble petstores (I would more prefer one that sells purbreeds)

-------------------
If there were more responsible petstore owners that got their animalsfrom purebred breeders, I feel that there would be less "puppy mills/animal mills"

I know that almost everyone here loves there pet and I'm glad that your rabbits have owners like you.

-Ashley & Flopsy

I'm big on going up to the local shelter andgetting one. They get so few people coming in to adoptrabbits that most of them are put down. :( And if there areno rabbits at the shelter, or none that fit your particularwants/needs, rabbit rescue groups! I'm going to volunteer forone this summer, and I foster a bunny already. They usuallyhave hundreds of rabbits, and adopt them out very slowly. Igot my first bunny, Oliver, from the shelter. But I do seeyour point about how breeders are much better than pet stores.

Latest posts

Back