Buttercup's Coloring...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, Buttercup is having some weird color changes since winter has started. At first here coat was a beautiful fawn color.Ajudge at a show told me she is apurebred Pal.This is what her coat used to look like.

GEDC0886.jpg

This was like in the fall.

Now here coat looks like this:

GEDC2329.jpg

Now there is like gray spots all over her coat. Here is another pic..

GEDC2330.jpg

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Thanks;

Karlee

Also, here is another pic.

GEDC2332.jpg

Could it just be moult lines? So some os new fur and some is the older fur?

Tracy, that possibly might be what the gray is from. But I'm not sure. And grayish colored hair is mostly on her rump, and somewhat on her back. I really hope it's just molting lines, and not her real color. But this is the first time this has happened before, I think it's possibly molting lines, like you said. ;)

Tinkerbell Rabbitry:A judge toldme she could possibly be a Palomino, and someone on here said she looked like one too. And I'm just feeding her pellets, hay, and veggies once and awhile. She is around a year old. And she isn't a baby more anymore though. :?

Karlee

Could it just be that she is more of a lynx color? I found this on a website about Palominos, but I'm not sure how reputable the information is:

"Palomino Rabbits are available in Lynx and Golden colors." "Lynx Palomino Rabbits have undercoats that are cream or white, also. The topcoat of these rabbits is pearl gray, and there is an intermediary color of beige-orange. In show, the type or body shape of the Palomino Rabbit is more important that the color."

The above information was taken from http://www.centralpets.com/animals/mammals/rabbits/rbt1469.html

Now, I've never seen a lynx colored rabbit in person, but from pictures they appear to have a grayish / bluish tinge to the fur, along with orange.

Hmm, very interesting Little Bay Poo. :?Also thanks for the link, and the info., you found.

I'm wondering if she is a Palomino with Lynx coloring, than it might just be her new coat coming in or something along the lines of that.

Karlee

That last picture looks like she is molting, when rabbits molt is takes a bout a month for them to fully molt(they tend to look funny during molt). She defiantly looks like a Palomino I have a friend who breeds them. How much does she weigh? I have a seen lynx rabbits at shows and she looks nothing like that color.

-Hannah

Pepe my old seal point used to do this, she was a really nice creamy ivory and grey colour and when she was about 1 and a bit, she had a REALLY heavy moult and become alot darker and began developing "speckles" and then went quite grayish all over. Has Buttercup had a heavy moult before??? Could It just be like her summer/spring coat coming through?

Tinkerbell Rabbitry: I'm sure how much she weighs, I think she weighs about 6-8 pounds.. Something like that. And the same judge who told me that she was a Palomino, said she was a Lynx, but I'm not sure. I think she kind of looks like a Lynx.

PepnFluff: Buttercup hasn't had a heavy molt before, and she is a year old. Last year she molted but it wasn't heavy, it wasn't very bad.. It could possibly be a spring/summer coat coming through. It could possibly be what happened it your rabbit too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Karlee

Here are a few photos of Elf during a molt. I've noticed some darker colors on her when she's going through them, too.

[align=center]
Christmas2007931a.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
Christmas2007912a.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
Christmas2007911a.jpg
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]I don't know if that helps or not...[/align]
[align=center]Minda[/align]

Yep, My Tony Baloney boy (purebred palomino) changes color with his moult but he gets lighter patches where the dead hair is..... he's got to be different! LOL!

Oh yes! he just gets like a light colored tipping on his fur then when it comes out..... he's his pretty light orangie color again.

FallingStar wrote:
Bo B Bunny: So did your rabbit change back to color?

Karlee

Elf Mommy wrote:
Yep, Elf goes back to her orange, dreamsicle self for most of the year. :)

dreamsicle.gif
LOL I just posted and thought.... what color would I say Tony is..... then I saw this..... it's so true! LOL!

Latest posts

Back