Butter has GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyButter

Reaction score
So, Butter has GI Stasis. (We thinks.) Took her to the vet (yay 24 hour services!) and the vet gave her some fluids, and prescribed anti-biotics as well as this Critical Care feed thing. We have to force feed her.

They said that if she doesn't have a movement by morning to take her back.

Anybody else have a bunny make it through stasis? What should we look for or do?

Well, I'd check her for temperature (don't let her get too cool or hot), activity level, alertness, and obviously waste output vs input. I don't have personal experience with stasis but since you have a bunny savvy vet working with you and noticed this fairly soon, I'm sure your Butter has much greater odds of a speedy recovery! Best wishes for poops in the morning!

I know it's really serious, but it's kinda adorable watching her sit in her litterbox. You can almost tell she is straining to clean her system out...

What are the antibiotics for? A rabbit in stasis needs fluids and fibre, first and foremost. Probiotics also help, as the beneficial bacteria in a rabbit's gut will start to die off if the rabbit stops eating for long enough. Critical care has all of the above. So keep giving it to her.

Did they take an x-ray to be sure there was no blockage?

Here's our library topic on GI stasis:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

Hope that helps!

Rue

My bunny had stasis last week after she was spayed. We almost lost her and she had to be admitted into the hospital for a few days. They did IV fluids, probiotics, forcefeeding every two hours, and reglan.

Oh goodness, my Cinder went through this twice and it is no fun, mostly a change of diet will be in order. I had to make sure she had plenty of hay (fiber). Went from 1/2 cup of pellets everyday to 3x a week. Cut back on treats to 5%. And veggies to 25% a week. She is feeling a lot better these days but she still has a little weight to lose. Hope your bunny feels better soon.

Still no poopies. Round two of the Critical Care forcefeeding. Also force gave her some water.

No, they did not take x-rays. They advised to come back today if she didn't have any movement. And she doesn't.

The anti-biotic I think is for the IV they gave her.

It looks like I'm going to my morning class (and seeing if she poopies or anything then) and going to come home straight after. If no progress, back to the vet I go.

Serenity73 wrote:
Oh goodness, my Cinder went through this twice and it is no fun, mostly a change of diet will be in order. I had to make sure she had plenty of hay (fiber). Went from 1/2 cup of pellets everyday to 3x a week. Cut back on treats to 5%. And veggies to 25% a week. She is feeling a lot better these days but she still has a little weight to lose. Hope your bunny feels better soon.

She has hay ALL the time. Sounds like I'm going to limit pellets and increase the greens. Might even just keep her on this critcal care for a while to see if that helps.

Okay! Quick update:

Butter still hasn't had a bowel movement and is strill growling if we approach her.

HOWEVER! She has eaten a few pieces of hay (I watched). Still not okay with me presenting her foods, but she is moving around more too. Still haven't seen her take in any water.

I should still probably take her by the vet though, right?

I don't want to come off as too paranoid over Butter, but I've never done this before! I want to make sure she is okay.

I don't understand why they gave an antibiotic, that can make things worse.

Lots of fluids and fiber, as has been stated. Canned pumpkin (100%, not pie filling) is a good thing to feed because it has both. To help the critical care go down easier I make it with cooled chamomile tea and mix in baby food- banana berry tends to by my kid's favorite.

I hate that so many md's, dentists, & vets give antibiotics prophelacally, just in case an infection might develop.

I'd be careful about increasing greens other than romaine or leaf lettuce, as some greens can make stasis worse.

The Natural Rabbit folks recommend feeding a mixture containing equal parts fresh [not canned] pineapple, olive oil, & aloe vera. To find the topic, do a search on RO for olive oil. It's the 2nd topic.

I have heard mixed things about the oil. I read that it can coat the outside of the mass that is slow, making it unable to absorb water and pass? The pineapple is good though.

Cilantro is good for tummy troubles as well.

If Butter has gas then simithicone and a good tummy rub also really help. With Cinderella not wanting to eat well I have been giving the simithacone and doing a tummy rub each night before giving her the pumpkin, I think it makes it a bit easier to get down.

I personally would take her back to the vet for some sub-Q fluids. I would be very hesitate about the oil, I gave Benjamin oil the first case of statis he had and the vet was pretty furious, saying that it causing the mass to be coated and not break up and compromises the amount of water that the hard stuff can be soften by. They also gave Benjamin antibiotics but that was because he had such a high fever. Statis is really nothing to be taken lightly, better to be over cautious. Statis can also be caused by another underlying condition, so keep up the fluids and critical care and good luck.

So,apparently Butter's GI Stasis was pretty intense. Like she ate a foreign object. The vet said she needed to be hospitalized, which I couldn't afford.

Ummm. We did talk about me bringing her home, but... I couldn't do that. I couldn't cope with the guilt of being in class and not caring for her or trying my hardest and her dying on me...

So... I had to put Butter down. She had a 50/50 shot of surviving under my care. I couldn't afford the hospitalization. I couldn't afford the guilt. So yeah. I had to put Butter down.

Latest posts

Back