Butt Baths

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty88

Reaction score
How do you do 'em?

What do you use for shampoo, what temp do you make the water, how do you dry them off?

I have a three legged bunny and butt baths are going to have to be a regular thing, so I want to work out a protocol to make our lives easier.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

You are so sweet to give such love to your bunny. I've only had to give a butt bath a couple times to an aged bunny. I got my "how to" from myhouserabbit.com
Are his poos mushy? I was thinking that if he has normal poos then even with a leg missing he wouldn't necessarily get messy there.

The following s from myhouserabbit.com:

"Baths can be very traumatic for bunnies, so if possible, try to avoid a bath, and just spot clean the area using a wet paper towel. However, if the feces have hardened and the area is very messy, the next course of action is a shallow bath. Fill a sink with a few inches of warm water (just enough so that the soiled area will be submerged) and mix in a dollop of pet shampoo (NOT human shampoo). Place your bunny in the bath and wash the soiled area until clean. Change out the water as necessary. Be careful when washing the area as the skin is very sensitive! Once your bunny is clean, rinse the soapy areas with warm water and then gently towel dry your bunny. Make sure your rabbit is not exposed to cold temperatures before fully dry."

He's gotten a half hearted butt bath once before, but we were both nervous and I kinda rushed it so I could wrap him up in a towel because I was terrified he was getting too cold. Unfortunately, the butt baths are necessary due to the way his tail lies completely horizontally. I have no idea how, but every time he pees it goes all around the base of his tail. He has some matting issues that he's had since being in his foster home after the amputation. He is also showing some signs of urine scald, which I am all about shutting down before it begins.

Side note about Linus: he is the most affectionate, outgoing, cheerful rabbits I've even known, and I've volunteered in a shelter. He is super brave, and all he really wants to do is sit next to you and possibly shove his head under your leg.

Ps; I've ordered a bottle of Healx Soother Spray for his urine scald. I've used it several times before, never for my own bunnies, but it's a miracle worker. I watched it completely heal a little Nethies torn-in-half lip in three weeks.

Franklin my Frenchie was having some litter box issues and had no problems sitting or running through his urine. We were having some scalding issues and baths were required. He was pretty good about standing in the sink and let me spray him off with the sprayer. He would put his front paws on me so I could pet his ears and calm him. I would get the sprayer so it was more like a drip. I wanted to rinse the urine off not dilute it in a shallow bath. As for shampoo I get the oster puppy stuff that has no paraben, no alchohol, no nothing in it. He likes the butt massage so shampooing isn't an issue. All in all we spend about five minutes at the wash process. I blow dry him on the cool setting and put desatin diaper rash ointment on to absorb the left over moisture. Your rabbit may not like the sound of the dryer. Franklin has never been bothered by the vacuum cleaner or by being handled, so I think that makes it extra easier for us. He doesn't enjoy it but we've done it enough he tolerates it pretty well now. Make sure you have like three or four towels. And I usually end up pretty wet myself. Crasins afterwards usually win him over too. I started with my husbands help till we all felt comfortable enough to do it one on one.

This will probably sound crazy-pants, but Linus actually LIKED getting blow dried. He even started purring.

I use a little plastic tub to bathe him in, and I support his front with the three finger grab so he feels secure, since he can't support himself on his one hind foot. I'm mostly confused as to what type of shampoo to use that won't irritate his skin.

I use Oster Oatmeal Naturals. It has scent added to it but it doesn't upset Franklin at all. dye free, alcohol free, paraben free. If you read the ingredients it doesn't have the sodium laurel gluacametkjshdkjf that's in human shampoos. That's mostly what upsets sensitive skins. Got it at wal-mart. Your vet will also have soap free oatmeal shampoo for sensitive skin.

If it's just urine you have to deal with, baking soda baths are the best. It sooths urine scald, and neutralizes the acidic urine. Cornstarch is also useful to absorb moisture.

I had a rabbit that jumped into a mud puddle, so I had to bathe her, then I gave her a blow dry after, and she didn't mind a bit. But she was a really calm, well adjusted bunny. Could you keep the area clipped short as to minimize the urine soaking the fur?

Latest posts

Back