Butt Baths and other grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntloser

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if this is something that has to be done? As I mentioned in a previous post, I am more of an observer of the buns. Of course I make sure their room is clean and they always have fresh food, water, litter, and toys but other than that, I don't have much handle time with them.

I also do not groom them because they are constantly groom each other. Is this something I should be doing (brushing them)?

I am going to try to trim their nails tomorrow. I get so nervous.

whenthey go through a molt (shedding their fur) it's good to get some of the hair off of them. You can brush or just grab loose chunks of hair. Other than that and a general look over (and nail trim) you really don't need to do anything else to clean them.

Yeah, as Katie said...they do most of the cleaning themselves, and don't need bathing or grooming much. The only times they would need those kinds of things would be if they were shedding a lot or moulting, or if they had health issues that caused them to have poo stuck to their fur, or sometimes if a bun gets urine stains. Otherwise, they'll handle all that themselves.

Good on you for being an extra-careful bunny slave, though!! :) It shows how much you care about them! :)

Mine hate being brushed so it's a pain in the butt but brushing does make a difference. When there's loose hair and the rabbit grooms itself that loose hair is ingested which is not good because of hair balls. If your rabbits don't like being brushed a slower way to remove hair is to lightly pull out hair but that's not always smart because you might pull out hair that shouldn't have been pulled out and may even leave balled spots. Otherwise I used to get my hands damp and run them across my rabbits back then repeat.

A great brush is the furminator BUT you cannot and do not need to press hard because rabbits have thin skin.

Latest posts

Back