BunTastic!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kahlin wrote:
That sounds like a good plan. Dutchies aren't for everyone. I didn't like the looks of them until I got Behr. Now I think he's really cute....and he's got a lot of energy!
I admit when I first saw Baci, a dutch, I didn't find anything remotely cute about him. Fortunately I didn't go with my first instinct.He has been such an entertainingbun, I'd do anything forhim. Not sure about other dutches but he's got a great personality. You would thinkhe's a dog and a very loyal one also!

Well, I took my bunnies to see the vet on Saturday for their semi-annual checkup and the got a pretty good grade from the Vet. I have been weighing my babies and they may be losing a little wieght. However, the number was so small that it could be due to a number of things, different scale at the vets office, natural variations in wieght through out the day, so it wasn't a major concern. The could still be adjusting to the orchard grass (from store bought timothy) hay that I had recently done, or from the decrease in pellets that I had recently done. He said that they looked healthy and didn't see any teeth issues.
Now, do I take the plunge on the third?

That's only something you can answer. Would you be prepared/willing to accept a third should the bond not work out? That's a huge part of it.

Well, part of the deal is that the bunny has to bond with my two. I am willing to work with a rescue to give a bunny a good home (at least I think that I will provide, and have provided a good home to my two babies), but that bun has to bond with my current pair. I am not going to a rescue and saying that I want bun X and walking out the door with said bunny.

Instead I am trying to work with a rescue to find the right bun. That means that I surrender some choice in the matter. I feel that I can broadly say that I don't want a lion head or angora, or perhaps I would like a larger breed, say a New Zealand or Flemish (if they had any). But I don't get to pick out a specific bun. What I would like is a slightly larger breed, different coloring then my current buns (so that I can tell them apart), just not an angora or lion head-but most importantly gets along with current buns.

So, while they might have a large selection of buns, I will narrow it down somewhat with my request...they will take the ones left and see which (if any) get along with my buns...then hopefully a third.

I might - time permitting, meet with a rescue this weekend on getting a third bun. Who knows? I'm in no hurry to get a third. I'd like to have three, but I want the right three more than anything. I'm not going to just put any bun in with my babies and hope for the best. When I actually get to talk with the people at the rescue, I will know more.

Actually I kind of wonder if they know what I really want. I have tried to be pretty explicit that I want the right bun for my bunnies and that is the most important thing, but I kind of wonder if that message has gotten thru?

Well, I haven't heard anything in a few days on the new bun front. They sent me an e-mail on Wednesday about getting together this weekend, but not a peep since then. Ah well, the most important thing is the right bun, not just any bun quickly.

On another front, Petnuia came up a groomed me for a second last night. She only licked my clothes for a second, but she has never done that before! I see it as a major break through. If she thinks I have a treat, she will come over and sniff, but if a treat isn't forth coming she is gone. But last night, while I was spending some quality time with Bert, she came over and a licked my clothes for a second. I was really shocked! I figured that she was just looking for treats. I'd tried to give her a quick pet, but she wanted nothing to do with that (never has).

Maybe after MONTHS and MONTHS of work I'm finally getting thru to my baby girl.

My buns have more or less free roam when I home and I will often make some time to spend on the floor with them at their level. Usually Bert will come over and we will spend some time together. Me petting him, him grooming me. Usually Petunia is around. I encourage her to come over and I show her what I am doing with Bert, but she just watches from afar. I hope she will continue to come over and say hi in the future and this isn't a one and done occurance.

Well, I took the plunge. My babies are the at the home of the one of the people from the rescue doing the bonding. The house is kind of quiet and sad without my babies. I miss them. But they are with someone who is much more of an expert on bonding than I. Plus they are in neutral territory, which is better for bonding.

But I miss my babies.

Bert wasn't near as aggressive as I thought he would be, but the first couple of buns didn't work out. Petunia seemed to take the worst of it, she got mounted a lot, lost some fur - but there weren't any skin breaks.

I don't have any pics. The new ones name is Popeye. He is a little bit bigger than my buns, but not too bad. My buns are just shy of 5 pounds. He is probably just over five pounds. You can tell he is bigger, but its not that much of a difference.

With any luck, I will get everyone home on Friday. Then I will have my trio and be done.

I got an update on my new trio. They seem to be getting along fine. It sounds like there is lots of grooming going on. I still miss my kids tho.

I just finished reading your blog. Sounds like you are one dedicated bunny-dad!!! Good for you!!!

Best of luck with your new trio! I do hope they all bring you so much joy. Don't forget a pic or two of your new bun and the group snuggled together.

myheart

Well, my buns came home last Friday. All 3 of them. It was nice to have my babies back. I am keeping them in the hallway for now with all the doors closed and baby gate up. Its as close to neutral terf I can come up with. I could lock them in the bath room, but with the door closed, I wouldn't be able to see what is going on, this way I can peek down the hall way to see what they are up to.

They are eating a lot of hay and drinking a lot of water, which is a good sign. I'm surprised at how much they eat and drink, but maybe I was just so used to Bert and Petunia that the change to 3 has caught me off guard.

Popeye seems to be adjusting well. He is more of a lover. If I am near him, he will let me pet him all I want, but he won't cover over for any. That will just take time.

Yesterday, I let them out around the living room to give them some play time. Popeye was just exploring everything (and doing some chinning). Bert and Petunia were just making sure everything was the say they left it. I did see Petunia chasing Popeye around the living room. I think it was more a game of tag than anything else. It was good to see them run around.

After I put them back, I did see Bert start chasing around Popeye and mounting him. No major fights, but after awhile I got in their area with Bert and put a stop to it. Bert seemed to get the message that enough was enough and stopped bothering Popeye.

Tonight I plan to let them in their old room for awhile. This will be the big test. I think that Bert and Petunia see the living room and hallway as everyone's space, but I think that they see the bunny room as theirs. I only really go in there to clean and stuff like that. So this will be Popeyes first time on their terf.

Hopefully things will go well over the next few days. I will let them in their room for longer and longer periods of time - until they can just be in there.

Maybe tonight I will remember to take some picks.

Well I'll be..I havent gotten notifications on your thread. SO I am very happy that u decided to have a trio. I know how u were on the fence about that decision.

PICS PLEASE!!!!

I took some pics of my babies (I really need to get a real camera!). Ok I tried to take pictures of everyone, but ended up with pics of my new bun. Bert really had no interest in the camera-except to run away.

Here is the new one. He came named Popeye. I don't know if I will change it or not. He has a spot over one eye. Actually his eyes are two different colors - but you would never be able to tell with my iphone.
IMG_0123.jpg

Here is one where Petunia was wondering what I was up to.
IMG_0117.jpg

Another pic of Petunia and Popeye. You can see that he is a bit bigger.
IMG_0115.jpg

One last pic of my baby.
IMG_0112.jpg

He is growing on me. They are getting along pretty well. I let them out for a little while today.

Time for bed.

Latest posts

Back