Buns using a water bottle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieR

Reaction score
Hello All.

My bunnies wont seem to use the water bottle that they have, they have a dish full of water all of the time but wondering if anyone can suggest how I could 'teach' (if at all possible) for them to use the bottle?

(I thought I would share - as i am typing Sky is doing lots of binkies around the living room - so cute :) )

Jess

What kind of water bottle are you using? I've found that most rabbits can figure out the kind with the metal ball at the end of the spout but some buns can't seem to master the kind with the rod.

Try putting something tasty on the end of the bottle to entice them to drink. Be sure they have an alternate water source until you know that both know how to drink from the bottle.

I prefer offering a bottle and a bowl because I find that they drink more from the bowl but the bottle is a good back up in case the bowl tips or gets dirty.

Why do you not want him to use a bowl? As far as teaching them to use the bottle I was always told to put peanut butter on the spout. This will get them to lick at the peanut butter and get some water out. This is the theory though as I have never tried it.

Well they keep on tipping over (the pretty big & heavy) water dish and soaking themselves and their cage! Or they pull the newspaper from under it and it tips up everywhere. They just don't seem to have touched the bottle since I have had them, it kinda just sits there pointlessly at the minute!

It is a bottle with a metal ball in the end yes - maybe i will try the peanut butter idea - not heard of that one before.

Thanks

I use the bowls that twist into a clamp.
16589_241325_210000000.jpg

I use the same bowls as Suzette. They come in at lest 3 sizes at Petco, 10oz, 20oz, & 40oz. You cann find them in these sections at least... small animals, birds, cats and dogs. I have some of these bowls that are 6 years old and barly have a mark on them despite being used constantly in a rabbitry. It is very easy to clean/dump/refill them. I use them for both food and water. I have nothing neative to say about them at ALL.

20oz http://www.petco.com/product/105767/Petco-Twist-And-Lock-Crock.aspx
10oz http://www.petco.com/product/104835/Petco-Twist-And-Lock-Bird-Crocks.aspx
Here is all 3 sizes. http://www.petco.com/product/6987/Lixit-Carrier-Cage-Crock.aspx?Ntt=40oz bowls&OneResultRedirect=1

I have never seen these kinds of water bottles in the UK! I guess we are a bit behind the times haha! All I can seem to find are bowls or bottles with the metal ends! I love look of the ones Jennifer uses!

Im going to have to get internet searching for the UK now!!

Thanks for the replies everyone x

I had captured some wild born domestic house rabbits earlier this year and none of them knew how to use a water bottle. So I put a bit of honey on the ball mechanism and in a few days they were drinking like pros.

We also used the bowls that screw on to the cages as well. We tried clip on ones, but they knocked them down.

Back