Buns eating paper/cardboard?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daenerys

Reaction score
So, my buns, particularly Basil, love to chew paper and cardboard....but they eat what they chew off. Just wanted to check and see if this was ok, or if I should not let them? I have given them both phone books and cardboard boxes, which they eat, as toys because I heard that buns love those things, but I was just a bit worried if like the ink on the paper or the glue on cardboard boxes was toxic at all....

I've been meaning to post the same question but it keeps slipping my mind! .. my Tofu does the same thing as well!
He chews it.. but swallows everything.. o_o

I give them plenty of hay and they get oxbow timothy pellets so I hope it doesn't mean they're not getting enough fiber or something...because I don't know what more I could do for that.

we have tons of cardboard boxes set up as a maze and to hold litter boxes. We also put down tubes from TP, paper towels and wrapping paper. The litter boxes are full of hand tron newspaper. It all gets chewed on and some is consumed, but we've had no problem for more than six years. Our Vet told us to stay away from cardboard that has been waxed or boxes with photo quality prints as that is on a plastic sheet, but regular cardboard and newspaper are okay. The rabbits amuse themselves for hours and love to dig in the paper.

Agree with Nancy. Plain cardboard is fine but the ones that have that glossy finish with pictures on it, I would avoid because it has stuff on it. I would also remove any tape that's on the box or shipping stickers.

My boy Kirby eats every bit he chews off so I do take away the cardboard when I put him away for the night. During the day he can play with it as I supervise to make sure he doesn't chow down the whole box. My other buns only chew on cardboard a little and they ingest some but not all, so it's not such a big deal.

Latest posts

Back