Bunny's leg in unnatural position after injury, need some advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelovceva

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been a bunny momma for 11 years now, and this is my first post on a Bunny forum! I hope you and your fluffy babies are doing great!

About 5 days ago (Monday morning), my bunny injured her back leg by fall. We're fighting a tough battle, but everything seems to be okay now. The vet was visiting her every single day, giving her medication for pain, swelling and appetite, and yesterday was the last day she was receiving professional medical care, as the vet determined she doesnt need it anymore, and should be good with home care.

She is doing pretty good, the swelling is almost completely gone, she doesnt seem to be in pain, eats well, drinks plenty of water, and hops around, but slightly less than before, which is understandable. A very happy bunny.
The vet said there was no bone fracture, so we suppose it is only musscle-related (but there was no scan included).

However, she keeps her leg in a wierd flat-down position, as a "splay leg", but im not sure if thats it. She can move it, reacts if im touching it (not in a painful way), uses it less than the others while running (lifts it up a bit, ints not draging on the floor), but when shes sitting, or just walking she keeps it in this position (images attached), and im not sure if its hip-related, and something that can be fixed? The leg can be put in a normal position, very rarely she does that by herself, but if i move it for her, she doest react, its not hurting her like that.

Im wondering, if she keeps it in this position because of the pain, because it maybe hurts less like that, and if its something that will go away on its own. Are there some exercises i can help her with?
What do you think about this? What can it be?

Thank you all so much!

Attachments

• 97977340_1333125550409224_481520650549198848_n.jpg
    97977340_1333125550409224_481520650549198848_n.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 98038769_247638473140265_1253785723471921152_n.jpg
    98038769_247638473140265_1253785723471921152_n.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 13
  • 98355889_563235071281687_4659537816735186944_n.jpg
    98355889_563235071281687_4659537816735186944_n.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 11
With no xrays having been taken, I would suspect the leg healed abnormally. Your rabbit may be able to function fine for the most part, but it could sometimes affect yyour rabbits normal movement. If it's completely healed, not much that can be done now to correct it. If you aren't sure, have xrays done to see what might be going on in there and if it still might need treatment.

Thank you both! I will keep an eye for her leg, though it already seems a little bit better than yesterday.
Honestly, i dont think the leg healed yet, the swelling is still there, and the injury is quite fresh.
The vet never expressed the need or idea for an x-ray scan, but ill make sure to keep it in mind if this worsens, and contact him on it! :)

I wouldn't wait, my rabbit has athrosis in the right hip now, and one possible cause is an injury that did go unnoticed, now it's too late to do much about it. I'm not sure if something can be done when it's fresh if there's something like a paretially dislodged joint.

Our nearly 12 y.o. suffered a fx'd femur over a year ago. Vet took xray. We opted to let a callous form keeping her in a small dog k/crate with mucho padding of towels. No hopping into a litter box. Not for 2 months, and even longer.

She moves fine, the callous formed well, and her leg sits out at a slightly abnormal angle (16 months later). Similar to Image 3.

On a different forum an experienced person mentioned 6 to 8 weeks for a callous to form. I had our girl in the confined d/k crate for 2 months. Our elder dutch can pull her leg in to align it underneath her body, now, but most of the time her healed fx' femur leg is slightly askew.

You may want to follow-up with xray as bun-owners noted. Peace of mind that you are doing the best you can to keep her pain-free.

Lots of love to your brave girl. She is lucky to have your love and TLC.

Thank you both! Right now, i am making sure she eats well, and drinks a lot of water. Shes very happy, per usual.
Today was a bit better. She was running around, chasing me, playing, and i noticed a bit more stability in her injured leg. She would step on it normally, but it would often "slip" into the positions on pictures.

She is so strong and brave! We all will love her unconditionally no matter what, but i want her to be as happy as possible.
I will keep track on her movement, as im really seriously considering xray, but to be honest, i am very afraid of it.

Firstly, there is a big stress factor for her (car ride, unknown place, presence of dogs, barking, and the scan itself), but im also very afraid of the anesthesia, i dont know if she would take it well. Though she looks like a baby, shes 6 years old, and i wouldnt take that risk unless absolutely nesecarry. 😓 The vet didnt express any need for it either, but if the situation doesnt improve, i will contact him again!

I hope i dont come off as uncaring because of this, as i would give the wolrd to her, but im really afraid how she would take it all.

Thank you all so much for your concerns and positive vibes!
I will update here on any changes.

Thank you both! Right now, i am making sure she eats well, and drinks a lot of water. Shes very happy, per usual.
Today was a bit better. She was running around, chasing me, playing, and i noticed a bit more stability in her injured leg. She would step on it normally, but it would often "slip" into the positions on pictures.

She is so strong and brave! We all will love her unconditionally no matter what, but i want her to be as happy as possible.
I will keep track on her movement, as im really seriously considering xray, but to be honest, i am very afraid of it.

Firstly, there is a big stress factor for her (car ride, unknown place, presence of dogs, barking, and the scan itself), but im also very afraid of the anesthesia, i dont know if she would take it well. Though she looks like a baby, shes 6 years old, and i wouldnt take that risk unless absolutely nesecarry. 😓 The vet didnt express any need for it either, but if the situation doesnt improve, i will contact him again!

I hope i dont come off as uncaring because of this, as i would give the wolrd to her, but im really afraid how she would take it all.

Thank you all so much for your concerns and positive vibes!
I will update here on any changes.
I definately don't think you are uncaring! Quite the opposite! I hope she improves!!!!!!!!!!

Update: Swelling is completely gone. She can run fast, is a bit more stable, but when sitting, leg still remains in unnatural position. Shows no sign of pain, eats well but still moves less than usually. A vet friend of mine took a look, and suspects its knee dislocation. I can agree with him. We are going to get xray in a couple of hours, and see for sure what the problem is. Will keep you updated!

Thank you all so much! Positive vibes are much needed now! ❤❤❤ I'm keeping this thread active, in case anybody with a similar problem comes across, this isour experience so far!

Update: The situation is much different from what we've hoped. The first vet assured us there was no bone fracture, but the scan says otherwise. My little baby has her femur broken in 2 places. Surgery would be needed for her to function normally again (though she is very happy now), but if its too much of a risk we wont do it. I've contacted vet ambulance in another town nearby, who have had much more experience working with bunnies and surgeries on them. We are taking her there Thurshday morning (in 2 days), so they can perform a check up in person, and determine wether she is suitable for operating or not.

In case of operation, they might connect the bones using bars, but if that is too complicated, they could remove the broken parts inbetween, and "connect" the femur on one place only, making the leg a little bit shorter. However, the orthopedist who looked at the scan said she has very strong muscles, and the difference wouldn't be visible after a month. Her strong muscles are the reason she can run almost normally right now, even without sceletal support, and this is most likely because she was never in a cage. All her life she would have a lot of free room to run and jump, and im so thankful for this right now!

The picture is here, again, for anybody with a similar problem. I know it is very bad, but I have to keep positive because of her, and hope for the best!
I will let you know how the vet visit goes, as our next priority is seeing if the surgery is doable.

Lots of love!

Attachments

• img_20200519_163737_001.jpg
    img_20200519_163737_001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9
Jelovceva, my heart goes out to you and Coco.

Is she confined in a small dog kennel crate, or area, now? My gut vibe is : Callous, callous, callous. Keep her confined for 2 months or allow a callous to form and mend the fx'd areas. I'm no DVM, but this plan worked for our elder dutch.

I did not proceed with pin surgery as I knew our elder would not adapt or take the surgery/separation from me, and subsequent pain the same as a young bunny. Factor in the 3 to 4000 quoted surgical cost. With no guarantees she'd survive.

- My friend had a boy who broke his leg. A experienced DVM (or maybe I'd say she was after perfection and didn't mind the costs) at our DVM clinic put in pins and maybe a plate. Pins for sure. The pin/s came loose, amputation of his leg was then advised. Sepsis (bacteria infection) occurred. She ended up doing a gentle PTS. She regretted ever being talked into the pin surgery. Hence, I conferred with other bun owners in the USA about fx's their buns had.

Personally I would listen carefully to all input that allows Coco's leg to mend and form a callous even if her leg is not perfect. Keep her confined allowing bone regrowth in the area.

My thoughts are with you. The cardiologist who saw my 90+ y.o. friend said, "Perfection can be the enemy of good." I look at our 12+ y.o. gal and cherish each day, grateful I did not subject her to the pins and surgery (whether or not she'd survive anesthesia, hospital stay, and her tolerance for pain post-op). Our girl rec'd metacam and gabapentin doses to help her thru callous formation weeks! Her leg is not perfect, but she's periscoping to see me all the time.

Exam notes from DVM, on Jan-31-20. Year later after fx.

Musculoskeletal. Good muscling and strength - no joint swellings, normal weight bearing, no gait abnormalities noted. Hx (history includes) Rt. femoral Fx - profound callus to mid femur. Well healed Fx - not confirmationally aligned but good use and stable.

Attachments

• TinyFxPictureJanuary2018.jpg
    TinyFxPictureJanuary2018.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4
Wrong date given w/.jpg photo above. ^ Tiny's fx occurred January 2019.

Jelovceva, More notes wrt decisions to be made for Coco's fx. Excerpts from my bun friend.

What I can tell you is that I was not given any options other than surgery. Looking back, I regret doing it. First I needed help when I got him home and did not have anyone to help me. Just getting him out of the carrier and set up was a challenge and I think the pins came out right away after I got him home although I did not know it, so it did not heal and then we amputated. My "baby" never really recovered in spite of the body healing after the amputation. His last few months of life were not good. If there were any other options, I was not aware of it. Plus the surgery cost me over $3000.00 and I had to eventually put the little sweetheart down

There is a bunny at the local shelter named Andy who broke his leg while in adoption and went to the "vet clinic." They did not do surgery, although I don't know enough about the situation to know why. It healed but the leg is not exactly the way it should be, but he is not in pain and can live a pretty normal life.
-----------

Hope this helps.

Im so sorry for what happened! I know you did everything you could to help him, and thats what is important! He was loved every second of his life and that is what matters, he is not in pain anymore. :(

I'm well aware of the risks this operation may bring. Shaylin (don't think i've mentioned my babys name so far haha) is strong, but will be seeing a much more experienced bunny vet who will determine what is the best for her, and wether she can be operated or not. If not, thats okay as well, she will keep sitting with her leg to the side, and running a bit less, but i want to make sure that shes not in pain! Her well being is the most important to me!

I also want to make sure she cant hurt herself, or tear some tissue from inside with sharp bone fragments.
I believe callous has already began to form.

Thank you for all the advice!

I will definitely refuse surgery if it puts her life in a big risk!

On a more positive note, here is a beautiful pic from a photoshoot we had today! 🥰
I will keep you updated!

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4711.jpg
    IMG_4711.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5
Im so sorry for what happened! I know you did everything you could to help him, and thats what is important! He was loved every second of his life and that is what matters, he is not in pain anymore. :(

I'm well aware of the risks this operation may bring. Shaylin (don't think i've mentioned my babys name so far haha) is strong, but will be seeing a much more experienced bunny vet who will determine what is the best for her, and wether she can be operated or not. If not, thats okay as well, she will keep sitting with her leg to the side, and running a bit less, but i want to make sure that shes not in pain! Her well being is the most important to me!

I also want to make sure she cant hurt herself, or tear some tissue from inside with sharp bone fragments.
I believe callous has already began to form.

Thank you for all the advice!

I will definitely refuse surgery if it puts her life in a big risk!

On a more positive note, here is a beautiful pic from a photoshoot we had today! 🥰
I will keep you updated!
She is beautiful!! I really hope the best outcome for her, whether it be surgery or leave it be. Keep us updated. :)

Out of related curiosity, how do rabbits do as tripods/amputees? I know dogs do very well, but the mechanics are pretty different. Has your vet discussed that as a potential option? The absolute best of luck and I hope you have a fantastic outcome!

Out of related curiosity, how do rabbits do as tripods/amputees? I know dogs do very well, but the mechanics are pretty different. Has your vet discussed that as a potential option? The absolute best of luck and I hope you have a fantastic outcome!

We haven't discussed that yet, nor was it mentioned as something needed right now, but we will see all our options tomorrow.
In case of a nerve/blood vessel being pinched, it could lead to the leg atrophy, in which case it would have to be removed to prevent sepsis.
Right now, she uses her leg the best she can, its not cold, and she reacts to touch on it, so i dont think this is the case, but if it is, and if it can become a problem, then we will definitely turn to surgery to fix the little leg, and avoid amputation and life threats.

Of course, there is an option in which she is completely out of danger as is, no chances of the leg atrophy, or fragments damaging surrounding tissue because of the callous that has began to form. Her leg would heal completely by itself in an abnormal position, but she would be functional and in no pain, which is amazing as well!

Either way, i will fight for her life, happiness, and for her not to be in pain! Of course i would like to see her leg be normal again, but that is not my priority! I will love her no matter what! ❤

As for bunny amputees, i dont have any personal experience with that. However, ive read they can learn to walk and move around, play, be happy regardless, as long as they are in no pain or risk!

Back