Bunny's gunna fly....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlilly0212

Reaction score
Ok. I go to school in FL, and I had an internship here over the summer. At the beginning of the summer my dad and I drove down from RI. Bailey did surprisingly well- he was a happy bun- eating and drinking and enjoying the grass at rest stops... I am going back home for 3 weeks before the semester starts, and my options are to leave him here or fly him with me. I don't have anyone to take care of him here, and I am going to look for boarding, but chances are that is very expensive, I don't know what kind of care and attention they will give him, and I don't really want to be apart from Bailey for 3 weeks.... (Selfish me.)
Soooo. After a while of thinking about it, and much research with the airlines, i think i want him to fky home with me. (I think i will be flying delta)
Does everyone think that is reasonable? Is flying dangerous for rabbits? (Ny the way- Bailey is about a ear and a half old, 4.2 lbs, and in very good health....) If I am being unreasonable please tell me... Bailey-boy is my first bun, and i want the best for him. And even though flying is very stressful for rabbits, it may be the best thing for him?
So any advice on traveling, soft-sided carriers vs. hard-sided, carrier type and size, things i should bring.....etc. I know some of you have gone through this. Anything would be appreciated!

(ps- sorry about all the typos- i am typing withe one hand asthe other is occupied by giving pets to the spoiled bun... :) )

I have had rabbits flown in many times and have shipped across the country with no problems at all but I will only use Continental. They have the rabbits in climate controlled conditions from the minute they receive them until they are picked up at the destination. This time of year with the heat it can be very stressfull for them and some airlines do not transport animals because of it. I would check with Delta to make sure that they let animals fly this time of year and if they are kept in climate controlled conditions the entire time.

Gook Luck

Roger

Roger talked about flying rabbits by themselves, but I'm assuming you want to bring him in the cabin with you? Two of my rabbits have flown in cabin with me, and Skyler was flown cross country (WAY cross country, Pennsylvania to Alaska!) with Continental and the service Roger described, so I have experience with both.

It's definitely less complicated to fly a rabbit in cabin with you. If you want to bring Bailey in the cabin with you (which should also be cheaper), you need to call the airline or look online to find out if they allow rabbits in cabin. Also find out what size carrier and what type (hard or soft sided) they allow, and what is allowed to be in the carrier with the rabbit. They probably won't allow toys or anything that could fly around and hit him if there's turbulence. Once you find all this out, you'll need to call the airline and tell them Bailey's flying in cabin. They only allow a certain number of pets in the cabin, so call as early as possible. Also find out where you need to go to check in with him, since they may have you go to a different desk. You'll also probably need a health certificate for him. Just call the vet and let them know you need a certificate, then when you bring him in for an exam they'll make one up for you. It shouldn't cost much more than a regular exam.

Tallulah was 9 weeks old when she flew home with me. I bought a fairly small soft sided dog carrier at the pet store, as well as a little water bottle. I took out the fleece bed in the carrier because she would have chewed on it and I didn't want her swallowing the fabric. I used about half a roll of paper towels in the bottom of the carrier to soak up urine and put hay in there for her to eat. I brought the empty water bottle through security (where they'll likely make you take Bailey out of the carrier and walk through the metal detector with him) and then filled it with water from the water fountain. Once we were on the plane, I offered her water every once in a while. If you want to, you could also bring some treats along for him. Tallulah did a great job on the flight, she ate her hay, drank her water, took a couple little naps and generally seemed pretty comfortable.

I flew Alaska Air with Tallulah, and I bought her this carrier in size small (it's the blue one :biggrin2:): http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750635

I also spent a huge amount of time on the phone with Continental arranging Skyler's flight back in April, so if you're flying Bailey in "cargo" versus in cabin, let me know and I can tell you all about it!

I am definitely taking Bailey in the cabin with me. I have called all the airlines that allow pets in the cabin to see if they allow rabbits, but the only ones that allow bunnies in the cabin are continental and delta. I am choosing delta because they don't require a health certificate and they are much less expensive than continental.
Delta allows hard and soft-sided carriers, of certain dimensions. Is one better than the other? Also, would 2 shorter fights or one long flight be better? Thanks!

Delta is very accommodating about flying pets in the cabin. Good choice! I would recommend a soft carrier. Getting a soft carrier under the seat will probably be easier for you since it gives a little.

Latest posts

Back