Bunny's and Me flying to the U.S.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
HI All :)

After 1 yr. of living in the states without my bunnies I am visiting the 6 remaining buns in Germany.

I am planning to take 2 of them back to NY with me. My husband will not allow any more and I understand his concerns since we live in a small 1 Bdr. Apartment (but with outdoor space).You know, its just hard to let go of such a great big bunny family. We also had a pretty tough life and financial problems in the states so far but I have at least 1 yr. of U.S. work experience now which should make it easier when it comes to a higher salary for me on th next job. Hubbys job at St. Johns University does not pay well but hopefully he can start with the police academy soon :).

I think in Summer the Bunniescould maybe live outside..what worries me is the warmer climate and the area we live in also has many ticks in summer..(Long Island, Suffolk County):?

For Winter I was planning to house them in a nick condo.

Like I mentioned my hubby is still not too fond of the bunnies. I am not sure he will accept them to stay with us all the time since he originally stated "no bunnies until we have a house" (so in 20 yrs..:()But when I told him about playing with my baby bunny Emily here he thought it was okay to bring her (and along with her her friend Mia...I wont seperate them :X)

I have looked for temporary foster homes in the past and received many nice offers. Back then I was planning to house the buns in New Jersey. But the way the Situation is now I would barely able to see the bunnies at all and I was even thinking of maybe looking for a shelter in Long Island. I have saved up my german tax return money for my bunnys so I would be able to pay possible fees.

I really just learned that Singapore Air would allow pets on the flight so I am unprepared when it comes to what the Bunnies might need to enter the U.S. I know of papers from the vet but I am unsure what the recommended shots are buns have to get in the states since Im sure there are different sicknesses in NY than here.

Has anyone transported bunnys on the same plane before? How did it work out? They would have to stay in the baggage room.

Would be great to har some experiences..I am a little nervous about my bunnies flying..:?

Emi

The way Airlines treat animals [not even to mention ...bunnies... ] is terrible. they are in their carriers, and being shoved around like baggage. and you all know how they treat baggage!! often the carriers sit underneath the planes' running engine..., in the heat or extreme cold, and they don't have earplugs either. bunnies can actually drop dead from a heart attack, surrounded by all these strange people, and loud noises.

I would not recommend ever, flying your bunnies as "cargo". The flight from Germany is very long, and puts a LOT of stress on any bunny.

no shots are required in the US.

If your husband is so iffy about bunnies, I -honestly- think, the bunnies would be better of where they are right now. who takes care of them right now?

I am so pleased that you will be able to bring two of your bunnies back with you :D. As Elf Mommy said (thanks for adding the link :)) I travelled from the UK to Canada with my two buns. Although it was a long journey, they managed it very well, and after a few days had settled right in.

I flew with Air Canada and used a pet transport company that did a lot of the hard work (arranging crates, putting them on the plane etc). Just make sure that they have water, and, if possible, hay or food (mine weren't allowed, because of custom restrictions). SnowyShiloh transported one of her rabbits by air, and even though it was just across America, the distance was huge. Her post is here
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35181&forum_id=1

Cynnba01995 - I appreciate that some airlines are better than others at transporting pets. I have to say that I had no problems with mine (except I really wish they'd been allowed hay). The pet transport company did say that Air Canada was among one of the 'better'airlines, so perhaps it's best to check out what their policies are :)

Jan

Thank you for the link Elf Mommy.

The bunnies will not simply fly as baggage, Gradlin Kennels is cooperating with Singapore Airlines and the Pets are placed in a separate acclimated room that is not close to the engines either. So that sounded realy good.

As far as I know the price is also less than half if the bunnys fly with me.

I think I have to declare Emily as a Fuzzy Lop since some breeds are not allowed to be shipped..I had to sent them the bunny's Bio, I will see what they say.

I flew somewhere in the U.S. (can't remember where now) a few years ago. The lady in the seat next to me had her dog w/ her. It was a tiny dog. She was in a carrier (the dog not the lady! Lol!) that fit under the seat in front of her.

I didn't ask if it cost her more, but it seems to me if it's carry on luggage, it shouldn't!

With 2 bunnies, it probably wouldn't work, I'm just curious for future reference, if that would be a possiblity!

I don't have any experience with transporting bunnies in anything other than a car, but I wanted to say that I'm happy you get to see your bunnies and may get to bring some home with you! I remember reading your earlier posts and saw how much you love your bunnies. Keep us updated, and I hope you can get the answers you need!

tonyshuman wrote:
I don't have any experience with transporting bunnies in anything other than a car, but I wanted to say that I'm happy you get to see your bunnies and may get to bring some home with you! I remember reading your earlier posts and saw how much you love your bunnies. Keep us updated, and I hope you can get the answers you need!
:yeahthat:

Ditto. I have had guinea pigs flown and they were just fine. Also Amy (undergunfire) had her boy Morgan flown to her he was just fine. Someone else I know has had two flown to her just fine. Skyler also flew to him mom from PA to Alaska and was just fine.

LuvaBun wrote:
I am so pleased that you will be able to bring two of your bunnies back with you :D. As Elf Mommy said (thanks for adding the link :)) I travelled from the UK to Canada with my two buns. Although it was a long journey, they managed it very well, and after a few days had settled right in.

I flew with Air Canada and used a pet transport company that did a lot of the hard work (arranging crates, putting them on the plane etc). Just make sure that they have water, and, if possible, hay or food (mine weren't allowed, because of custom restrictions). SnowyShiloh transported one of her rabbits by air, and even though it was just across America, the distance was huge. Her post is here
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35181&forum_id=1

Cynnba01995 - I appreciate that some airlines are better than others at transporting pets. I have to say that I had no problems with mine (except I really wish they'd been allowed hay). The pet transport company did say that Air Canada was among one of the 'better'airlines, so perhaps it's best to check out what their policies are :)

Jan

Congrats on being able to bring two of your buns to the States. I hope you will also post a thread detailing all you go through to make it happen and what the experience was like for you. That will be one more place we can refer others when they find themselves in your situation.

Wishing you the best!
~Mary Ellen

I have bad news. :(I was not able to bring the bunnys.

Hubby wanted me to bring one only (he changes his mind about that once ina while) but I told him I can not seperate Emily and Mia and that it would make them really unhappy. They are not used to living a single bunny live since they grew up in a big family.

So I said if I can only have one I will bring none at all, the bunnys will be happier like that even though it means I will miss them forever.

Aw, that's too bad. Have you thought about getting a bunny here, one that wouldn't mind being alone? The local humane society might have a bunny that's not very sociable toward other bunnies and might be happier in a one-bunny household.

tonyshuman wrote:
Aw, that's too bad. Have you thought about getting a bunny here, one that wouldn't mind being alone? The local humane society might have a bunny that's not very sociable toward other bunnies and might be happier in a one-bunny household.
Ditto to that... :( Too bad you can't bring them here after all!

tonyshuman wrote:

Actually I have but right now I am just really sad that I had to give up Emily and Mia for sure.

pla725

Well Emily and Mia will stay with my Family and my old dwarf Blacky. They live very nicely. Blacky has lost his girl Browny in 2006 and was very lonely after. It changed him so much he got aggressive and stressed. But when he met young Emily and Mia a while later he showed great interest.

Back then I only let him spend time with the girls outside the cage but since I left Germany he has been living with them and could not be happier. I honestly felt a little bad taking Blackys Girls away too. He would have gotten a new Senior Friend but who knows if he would have been as happy?

They live in a big, 2 story stable.

The other bunnys will be found a home by a Bunny Rescue Organization. They make sure the bunnys will be given in good hands.

It's probably for the best for all. Will the rescue organization let you know when the others are placed?

Perhaps,when the time is rightyou will be able to adopt a rabbit in the US. Good luck.

pla725 wrote:
It's probably for the best for all. Will the rescue organization let you know when the others are placed?

Perhaps,when the time is rightyou will be able to adopt a rabbit in the US. Good luck.

Yes they will and I hope the new owners will be willing to stay in touch with me. I would like to know how my bunnys live in the future and if they are ok.

I actually just eliminated an Inquiry because they wanted no contact with me whatsoever...:XI think thats mean if you consider the circumstances.

Back