Bunny won't stop biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonbonandJujubee

Reaction score
We just got a new bunny, overall she is very sweet. But when we are giving her food or water she will attack you. I don't know what to do about this, I don't want to hurt her but I do want to teach her that it is ok for us to put our hands in her cage. When she is outside of her she is fine. I'm guessing she is just territorial but I would like to stop this.

You could try placing your hand gently over her head when putting her food and water in her cage.

Also can I make a suggestion and say that you could give her something like a big leaf of cabbage for her to eat while you fill her water and pellet bowls. Also rabbits love the fresh leafy veggies like cabbage, celery, and spinage. Also if you like to garden it's rewarding to grow your own veggies and be able to give them to your rabbits. There a specific nutrition section on this site somewhere.

She's territorial about her cage. It's a common thing for does. It may go away as she settles in. Expanding her cage space may also be helpful. If not then spaying her could help(though not always), or wearing a thick glove and protective coat when you feed/water so you don't withdraw your hand when she does attack and so she doesn't learn that attacking makes your hand go away, or you may need to distract her with something while you feed, or scatter feed instead of putting it in a bowl. I have a doe that was a bit feisty when I got her and she actually latched onto my finger once, but now she is one of my sweetest rabbits after 7 years of being with me.
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/aggressive-rabbits/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Aggressive_rabbits

If you give veggies and your rabbit isn't used to having them, it's best to introduce them into the diet correctly, to minimize the chances of digestive upset occurring. You want to start with only one veggie and only a very small amount for a couple of days. If there are no signs of mushy poop or upset stomach from it, then it can be gradually increased.

We just got a new bunny, overall she is very sweet. But when we are giving her food or water she will attack you. I don't know what to do about this, I don't want to hurt her but I do want to teach her that it is ok for us to put our hands in her cage. When she is outside of her she is fine. I'm guessing she is just territorial but I would like to stop this.
One of my girls is same she's very territorial I agree what was said about cage extension I did that and placed her food bowl and water there, now when I want to refill her bowl I just make her go back to her main cage and close the door, and for water I change it from outside as she uses her drinking bottle.
I am a bit confused what you mean you don't want to hurt her but want to teach? I don't think punishment would help, I think my Smokey was punished in her previous home she was very nervous and when she attacks she's clearly waiting that I would punish her for that, I think it would only give ger negative experience and she won't trust you, there suppose to be another solution to this problem.

Yes, physical punishment should never be used, ever. First it's illegal, second it's counterproductive and isn't going to really teach a rabbit not to be aggressive. In fact it's more likely to increase aggression.

Thank you all! I meant, when I said hurt, whether or not scolding would scare her. It probably wouldn't work. But I would never hurt my bunnies.

You could try letting out an 'eep' when she attacks. It works for some bunnies. You can also teach some to respond to 'no', but I don't think your bun is at that stage. Introducing veggies into the diet might be a way to win her over, though never give it to her when she is acting aggressively as that is essentially rewarding the behavior.

I have a pair that do this, the male, actually, does this. I say BE NICE, in a stern voice. I also make sure I talk to them and tell them what I am doing etc. I will/have also pushed, firm but gently, down on the head/neck area to show dominance. Mother rabbits do this, I will also place my chin over his head and rub and gently push down then we snuggle after a bite session so my sent it recognized as dominant so he is less likely to bite...it has helped. But sometimes he still gets me. He will sometime bite at his sister when we feed, change the water bowl and then grunt and attach us...it's gotten better, as I said, sometimes he backs off when I say BE NICE, or he will lunge and then pull back.
It's strange because he is super snugly when out of his cage, purrs and wants to be held close...so I when I take him out I tell him nice boy and will give some pellets, or freshies (veggies/herbs) so he understands that being nice is good/rewarded. I think that helps when using the word association.

But sometimes he still bites when in his cage...it happens.

Latest posts

Back