Bunny with scanning eyes going in circles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I know bumping isn't very nice, but someone went through and commented on a bunch of threads (some of them that haven't been updated in a couple weeks) and this thread is 27 down from the top now. I'd really like someone's input on Ned's medications so am posting again just so hopefully one of the medical savvy board members sees :)

Bumping this up - plus adding - I don't know his weight but that dose of baytril seems low....but honestly, I don't know enough about it. I know that I've usually had to give baytril twice a day before (I think???). Not sure now...

How is he doing now that he's on both meds?

Oh I should have said, he is 3 lbs. Or 2.14. Depends on which vet's scale you believe! Peg, he seems to be the same pretty much... some balance issues, some tilting/head turning, no nystagmus.

Thanks so much for looking at his meds, Ali! Nedders is doing pretty well. He's seemed the same for the past few days but that's okay, right? He looks a bit tilted at times, more obvious when he's resting, and is a little off balance but nothing severe. He seems a little less active too. And now he has a pink mustache from the grenadine I use to make the Baytril more palatable.

Thanks so much, Naturestee :)

I'm thinking of calling the vet and asking for another dose of Panacur. He was supposed to get 1 g of granules every day for 5 days, but last night some granules got stuck in the tip of the syringe, I pressed on the plunger a bit too hard, and half the medicine blorked all over the counter. Ned's also really stubborn about swallowing the Panacur and will just let it drip out of his mouth (Rory does this too). Stubborn bunny! He's probably lost about 1/8th of the medicine from each dose of Panacur. The Baytril mixed with the grenadine is thicker so it doesn't drip out in spite of his best attempts.

I had another thread going because Ned appeared to have an eye infection but I think he just scratched it accidentally since it's been completely fine for several days now. Angieluv suggested chloramphenicol or zithromax for Neddie. I FINALLY got to talk to the vet today (after calling them several times and requesting that she call me- on Saturday I was told she wouldn't be in again until Wednesday, ugh) and she prescribed Zithromax :) He's been on Baytril for over 2 weeks now. Guessing I should discontinue the Baytril and just use the Zithromax? And she said she got the dosing amount for the Pen G from an exotics guide that said to give bicillin once a week. Apparently for cats it's the same.

Anyone know the dosage amount for Zithromax? I'll be picking it up at the pharmacy later today. She said it's something like 2.5 mL per dose which sounds awfully high to me.

Ali, yes, it's a suspension. She said normally it's a pill but she called in a prescription for liquid. Apparently it only has a shelf life of 14 days so half the bottle is going to be wasted then we'll have to buy another bottle for the next 14 days.

Just a Nedderbug update. It's the same old same old for him. Actually, I'd say he's improved somewhat over the past couple weeks. He still turns his head a little if he's sleepy or something but in general you can't tell there's anything wrong with him by looking at him and he's acting like himself again. I know he's not ready to go off his meds though because he got a dose a few hours late back when I was switching him to the new antibiotic and the tilt was more pronounced for about 12 hours. This was last week.

On Thursday I will be leaving the state for a week and a half! The trip was planned and tickets were paid for back in April, I wouldn't just decide to ditch Ned for a week and a half when he's sick. Paul will be medicating Neddie and taking care of everyone for the first half, then he will be flying out to join me and my friend who is not very experienced with rabbits will be pet sitting. She was a vet tech for years, loves my bunnies, has had many rats, has kitties, and has given LOTS of medicine, sub q fluids, injections, etc in her time. Later today she will be coming over to see what exactly she needs to do. The bun buns and birdies will be in very good hands while I'm gone :) Of course I'll worry, but I wrote up a pet care sheet (er.... sheets!) complete with multiple contact numbers (where we'll be, vet, emergency vet, landlord, etc) and have been scurrying around getting things ready for Ned and the other buns.

How do I know when to discontinue Ned's medications? He's been treated for the ear infection for a month and a half now and is still on the Zithromax/Pen G routine. He has 1 shot left, which will be given to him next Wednesday (got 1 last night too). He has about a week and a half left of Zithromax. Good news is that as of a couple days ago, he seems to be at least 99% better now and his head only turns to the side a tiny bit sometimes. For instance, right now he is meatloafing and has his eyes half closed but his head is straight. In the past, when he was relaxing is when you could tell the most that he was tilty.

My instinct is to just let him use up the rest of the meds and see what happens, but I'm rather concerned that he'll relapse within a few days and we'll have to start all over again because the infection will have come back as strong as ever.

Also how likely is it that Neddie will get an ear infection again at some point in the future since he's had it once before?

Thanks!

Rule of thumb is to continue antibiotics for at least 72 hours after the symptoms are gone. In this case, I'd say a week (or two) after he's reached max improvement which will hopefully coincide when he's finished the meds.

Glad he's doing better!

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks for the advice, Pipp! Unless something changes, I will discontinue his meds when he runs out and then hope for the best.

What a beautiful little rabbit. We had this problem with our Netherland Dwarf rabbit 'Roly' he started with the scanning eyes and we put him on a course of Panacur for 28 days and he is better now.

We have a lot of rescue buns and we always put them on a 28 day course of Panacur when they first arrive.

So glad Ned is better he looks so well in the photos such a cute little guy :hearts

Everyone cross their fingers for my Neddie! Today is his last night of Zithromax. I will be watching him very closely for the next couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back