Bunny with a broken leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnies1234

Reaction score
Hi, my bunny recently broke her leg 2 days ago, Shes 5 months and her leg is fractured pretty bad. I went to a vet and they took x rays and she broke a bone and has some fractures. They wanted to do surgery or amputation but it was $2000 or more and for just a cast it was $1000 or more. We told them we’d go else where and they just put a bandage over her which she still has on. We are planning to take her to another vet to put on a cast but the vet we went to said there was no gaurantee her leg would fix. She has been eating and pooping. I feed her the medicine they gave me and I give her the food they gave me as well. She is grooming her self which I’ve read that is also a good sign. I’m not quite sure what to do because she is really scared of people holding her or she starts shaking when kids come near her. I need advice on what to do or how to make her feel better. I let her out of her cage for a while and she goes and hides under my bed and she lays down there and seems combfortable. I keep her in a cage that’s medium sized because I heard she’s not supposed to move much. Any tips or anything will really help. I think the vet we went to really scared me because they said her leg might not heal but I’ve been reading people have similar stories and they’re bunnies legs end up healing !

Rabbits heal quickly, so if you don't do something soon, the bone will start to knit back together in whatever orientation it's being held in. If this starts to happen, surgery will only become more expensive and risky, as they will have to re-break the leg and set it.

I'm not going to advocate action either way, but there was an outdoor rabbit in my neighborhood who broke a leg bad, and of course didn't get treatment, because he was a wild rabbit, and survived just fine. He hops around a little wonky now, but he survived.

Stay strong, and keep us posted!

If surgery isn't done, the options are splinting or restricting movement. Restricting movement to give the bone time to heal, does sometimes work, but it will depend on the fracture. If you feel splinting would be too stressful and impossible for your rabbit to deal with, then maybe discuss the option of restricting movement with your vet.

Im hoping she will heal on her own, I am planning to take her to the vet to get splinted and let her heal on her own !

Latest posts

Back