Bunny with 6 week old kits building a nest ??????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat70

Reaction score
Hi been in too day to check my bunny she has built a huge nest :shock:.

She has 6 week old kits , whether is not cold - why would she build a nest ?

My buck has been neutered back in July no other boy buns.

She has been acting strange trying to mount my boy bunny all the time.Does anyone know why she would do this? The kits are all big and well, it's so strange to pull all her fur out and build a nest , it's stillquite warm i put plenty of hay in the hutch .I caught her the other dayrunning round with hay in her mouth and today she has pulled all herfur out.Its just grown back from when she had her kits 6 weeks ago.

Is this normal behaviour???

It could just be a phantom (sp) pregnancy. Does will mount the bucks in an attempt to show their dominance.

Also, I have heard that neutered rabbits can still be fertile aftertheir surgery for a certain amount of time. Someone else canhelp you with that.

Sharon

It is not uncommon for some does to gothrougha false pregnancy after they give birth. Beingpregnant really really messes up your hormones. Just the act of nursingreleases hormones. Are the kits eating pellets now? My suggestion is towean all the kits so she doesn't try to mount them or hurt them. Leavethe nest in the cage or she will just keep building new ones, and soonenough her hormones should return to normal.

Julia

Hi,

all the kits are eating bunny food now and are fit and healthy.

I have cleaned the hutch and reput all her fur that she has pulled outback in.The kits are still in the hutch with her as they are only 6weeks old.

Even though they are young, if they are onpellets they can be weaned off. If you keep them in a cage togetherthey will be fine without mom. I really suggest you take them outbecause it is very common for does like yours to try to breed with kitsand hurt them.

Julia

I have took her away from the babies now she is back with my nueterd Buck and seems to be mothering him all the time !

Here is one of the babies - yes BABY ! This is one of the baby does we are keeping she is 7 weeks old;

Latest posts

Back