Bunny was stuck in wires in cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
Somehow, in the middle of the night the floor in the cage slid out of position exposing the wire (it's about a 3 inch grid). Not sure when it happened. The cage is elevated about 4 inches off the ground.

This morning when I went down to feed the bunnies, Whidbey was outside of his cage (for the first time I am glad he is so shy - I don't think he ventured out to explore at all). And Gunston was stuck in the wire. All four feet were on the ground, but one wire was under his belly and the other was over his shoulders.
I've given them both hay and water. I was going to give them pellets as soon as I get them situated back in their cage (they're in their carrier right now).
Whidbey is eating, I haven't seen Gunston eat yet.

What else do I need to do or watch for?

(also, between typing this, I'm current;y fixing their cage so this can't happen again, that's why they are in their carrier instead of the cage)

Update:
Gunston looks to be hopping around just fine. He ate a bite of pellets, but not his usual sit down and chow down until they're gone.

I find that when something scary happens with my guys, they tend to be more reserved. Silly Neville is in the middle crate (I have three stacked). Decided he wanted out and jumped passed my shoulder and landed on the floor. Wasn't hurt, but was very tentative with me afterwards. By the next day, he was fine. I would think your bunny would be a bit tentative of everything after being stuck in his crate. Just observe him. He sounds like he's not hurt, because he did eat. Might take him a little bit to be secure in his surroundings again, and I bet you will see him chow down in no time.

K:)

Afternoon update:

The both look fine :bunnyheart
The cage is completely fixed so this can't happen again.

If you use a dog crate as your cage, please make sure the tray is somehow locked in place. They managed to push it forward out the front which exposed the wire.

Aw, poor little man!! I'm glad he seems better now. Was it hard to disentangle him? We have a dog crate as a cage too, thanks for the advice with the tray!!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Aw, poor little man!! I'm glad he seems better now. Was it hard to disentangle him? We have a dog crate as a cage too, thanks for the advice with the tray!!

Not as bad as it could have been. He just needed a little lift on his back legs, and then he was able to slip under the crate where the wire was over his shoulders.

Latest posts

Back