Bunny too happy to eat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neelix

Reaction score
Hey!

2 weeks back, i adopted a baby bunny, 5 months old, who lived with someone who cared for him really bad. He lived in a small cage (40 cm by 40 cm), it was extremely hot in his cage, ate really bad food, never had veggies, barely enough hay, no toys, couldn't sleep like a normal bunny (All flattened on the ground) and could only sit straight up, he couldn't even lay down.

I have him in a cage wich is 2 by 2 meters, on really good (and expensive :) )
food, gets lots of veggies (after he got used to eating it, wouldnt want him to get sick), lots and lots of toys (so many he doesnt have enough time to play with them all) as much hay as he can eat and always fresh water. With this weather he also has an Ice Pod, water to put his feet in to cool down, and a frozen water bottle wrapped in a sock. '

All of that is fine, but here is the problem:
He is too happy to eat!

I give him tomato, he makes binkys, i give him cucumber, he makes binkys, i give him herbs, he makes binkys, i give him food, he makes binkys, i give him hay, he makes binkys and this goes on and on.
Every time i give him something, he gets so exited he doesn't have time to eat at all! All he does is make binkys, and sleeping all stretched out on the floor. He is just so happy he doesn't have time to eat.
He uses every square inch of his living space to run around, jump and play

I really love him, he is just a happy baby bunny because he never had the place to play or jump, but i don't want him to get sick from all the jumping with this heat (i live in Holland) and from the 'bad' eating

Is there anything i can do to motivate him to eat? Or should i just wait till he calms down a little and starts eating like my other bunny's?

Last edited:
Sounds like a very happy and content rabbit! He has the hay available and water all the time so I imagine he's eating as much as he desires.

If it is that you are concerned that he isn't eating enough pellets, don't worry. The hay and greens are more important anyway. (He'll be an adult in about a month, so pellets should be reduced by then anyway.)

So great to hear he's gotten a new lease on life!

Awh that’s so cute to hear about your little happy chappy! Good job giving him such a happy home :)

Back