Bunny terrified of brushing more than before 😭

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Guys help 😭😭
I’ve been talking about this problem since forever, haru hates the brush!!! In the beginning it was hard to brush her but it wasn’t impossible, I brush her while giving her veggies or treats and sometimes she lets me brush her while she sleeps, but she would never sit still, so when I took her to the vet i gave him her brush and asked him to brush her, and after that she became terrified of it, I thought that maybe it reminds her of the vet or something, I tried not to stress her and chase her, and she had matted fur all over her, so I told the vet to chop it off when I took her for the surgery, now it’s starting to grow back and i don’t want it to become matted like before, I bought her a new brush, and she hates it too😭😭 I’m sure that it’s not because it’s hurting her or something because when she sleeps I used to detangle her fur with my nails and she would wake up just to make sure that it’s not a brush, then go back to sleep. I tried the lint roller, I tried a comb, and I tried the glove that doesn’t do anything, and she hates all of them. The new problem is.. that I’ve been teaching her that her cage is her home and that no one could touch her when she’s inside, so when she’s scared she can go there knowing that she’s safe.. now as soon as I touch the brush she would go inside the cage 😭😭 she didn’t play outside since yesterday, I even stopped holding the brush, I tried giving treats and I also left the room but she refuses to go out, she would come out, take the treats and goes back inside.
What should i do! It’s impossible, if she’s sleeping she would get up and run, when I put her on the kitchen counter she wasn’t scared and she was going to jump, she also kept running there, i tried it with treats, she looovveess orange, but if I’m brushing her she would leave everything and run, I tried to cover her face, she got scared and looked like a mad bull, I tried everything please help

That sounds tough! Could you try putting the brush in her cage and letting her get used to it? It might work and then you could slowly introduce it to her.

I was going to suggest getting her onto a counter top, but I can see you have already tried that. That’s usually where I have to put my bunnies in order to do anything where they would otherwise wriggle and hop away (nails, medicine etc) as I find it easier to restrain them. It’s a shame she’s not put off by heights!

My rabbit is like that as well, what I do is pick him up,hold him, gently cover his eyes and walk around and brush him. I always talk in a soft voice and just explain how I love him and im sorry and it's for his health , that's the only way he will "accept" it. Lol I use the hair buster comb and it works WONDERS. He's a lionhead so he needs lots of brushing as well. He hates being picked up but honestly, I'd rather have him be a little angry at me for while instead of not brushing him and him ingesting too much fur. Give a treat after of course and say im sorry I love you! Lol

Last edited:
My rabbit is like that as well, what I do is pick him up,hold him, gently cover his eyes and walk around and brush him. I always talk in a soft voice and just explain how I love him and im sorry and it's for his health , that's the only way he will "accept" it. Lol I use the hair buster comb and it works WONDERS. He's a lionhead so he needs lots of brushing as well. He hates being picked up but honestly, I'd rather have him be a little angry at me for while instead of not brushing him and him ingesting too much fur. Give a treat after of course and say im sorry I love you! Lol
describe (hates being picked up).. i saw a video for grooming, they said that their bunny hates it and that he’s aggressive, the bunny didn’t do anything!!! Haru would fight for her life, if she was picked up she would kick, scratch, and move alot, it’s hard to hold her, she slips and if she can jump she would, she doesn’t care about how high she is, and I don’t want her to fall and get hurt, now we are slowly trying to teach her about it, we would pick her up, count to three, give her a treat then let her down, and that’s one of the reasons why she refuses to come out of the cage, she stays calm now, but I’m sure that if I tried to brush her she would eat my face

Latest posts

Back